Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Why are

(10 Posts)
WinkyWinkola Sun 14-Jun-09 09:21:40

babies too young to have vaccinations?

Why is 13 months the decided age?

Anybody know? Just interested.

silverfrog Sun 14-Jun-09 09:23:17

I don't understand - babies vax schedule starts at 6 weeks, or something, doesn't it? (sorry, don't know, neither of mine have had the baby jabs done in the UK)

who is deciding?

thumbwitch Sun 14-Jun-09 09:25:01

the schedule starts at 24hours, if we're being pedantic - that's when they can have their BCG.

silverfrog Sun 14-Jun-09 09:28:54

that's not a routinely scheduled jab, thoug is it? (dd1 had it at about that age, but again, we weren't in the UK)

thumbwitch Sun 14-Jun-09 09:39:02

it's routinely offered in the London area at least - you are allowed to refuse it though. And it's offered on Day 1 - it has to go in the birthplan as to whether you want your baby to have it or not.

JollyPirate Sun 14-Jun-09 09:42:26

Most vaccinations are from 8 weeks. Up to 8 weeks or so most babies have some residual immunity from Mum. It starts to wear off from this time.

JollyPirate Sun 14-Jun-09 09:43:20

MMR is thought not to have such an effective immune response before thirteen months.

bubbleymummy Sun 14-Jun-09 09:51:42

MMR does not work as well before 13 months because the baby has measles immunity from its mother and this interferes with its immune response iirc. If the mother has natural measles immunity the length of time the baby is protected is longer than if the mother was vaxed against the disease. This is why many younger babies are now getting measles and it is more dangerous at a younger age. You could say that vaccination has caused the problem by preventing mums from acquiring the natural immunity that will protect their child when they need it...

If the MMR is given before 13 months it needs to be repeated at 13-15 months anyway. Don't be surprised if this earlier dose is introduced - more mums are unable to offer natural measles immunity so more babies are susceptable between 6-13 months and of course this means more £££ for the manufacturer hmm

WinkyWinkola Sun 14-Jun-09 11:06:05

I meant the MMR. Sorry - should have been clearer.

stuffitlllama Mon 29-Jun-09 21:27:51

I think there is no compensation for vaccine damage of babies under the age of two by the way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now