Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Just realised that DD was supposed to have an MMR booster thing - no-one has chased me up about this, what should I do?

(6 Posts)
Fruitbeard Fri 05-Jun-09 17:45:32

Having a convo with DSis thisavo and she mentions about wally of a practice nurse giving DN her MMR Booster so badly it utterly traumatised her for the other one... I said what MMR booster? What other one?

DD is 4.3 and I have had no letter from our Drs, no mention of it has ever been made when we've attended the Drs in the last year (DN is 10 months younger than DD), I wasn't even aware that such a thing existed <dimbo emoticon>...

Now, our LHA is to put it bluntly, shit, underfunded/overspent and have cancelled many of the check ups etc that children are supposed to be having, but I'm amazed I've not been contacted over this (DSis is in Notts and apparently they're v. hot on this, she had 2 chasing letters and a phone call to make sure she was coming in to have it!)

So.... it could have been entirely coincidental, but after DD's first MMR she developed terrible eczema/skin problems and gluten sensitivity and has had issues with it ever since. Although it was never officially diagnosed, from her issues with food during breastfeeding (I noticed that what I ate had a real effect on her tummy when BFing) and then weaning, I think she had an immature gut (after cutting gluten out for a year, I then gradually reintroduced it and she seemed fine).

Consequently I'm a wee bit cautious about having this booster. I've googled a bit and it seems to be only 2 in 10 children that actually need it and DD may already be immune? What are the other injections all about?

Sorry to be thick but I've never heard of these other injections and I'm getting conflicting info from various places - it seems to vary between health authorities...

Thanks and sorry for rambling on at length!

PortAndLemon Fri 05-Jun-09 18:13:22

The others are diphtheria, tetanus, whooping cough and polio boosters.

Fruitbeard Fri 05-Jun-09 18:16:47

Thanks Port

I have no objection to her having those, but am a bit dithery about the MMR - would you know if you get the option of having one lot but not the other?

PortAndLemon Fri 05-Jun-09 19:37:41

I'm pretty sure you do -- I know a lot of parents wouldn't feel happy about having the MMR and the other booster at the same time. DS did, because we were about to go to India at fairly short notice and I thought it was better to make sure he was protected rather than to worry about giving too many injections together.

angel1976 Fri 05-Jun-09 21:43:48

You are not meant to get a reminder. DS just had his MMR and I was told by the nurse to come back when he is 3.5 years old for the booster, I asked her 'Will I get a reminder?' She held up the red book and said 'That's your reminder!' Dead useful she was... hmm

Fruitbeard Fri 05-Jun-09 21:48:01

Cheers guys, I will get her sorted out re. the diptheria etc. and have a further think about the MMR.

Interesting how different HA's do things, though...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now