Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone else due single MMR vaccinations and find there are no mumps vaccinations..?

(18 Posts)
shhhh Sat 30-May-09 10:36:29

DD is 4 and in dec started the preschool booster programme of vaccinations.

She had measles, Rubella but the private clinic ran out of mumps vaccinations...hmm.

I have chased them several times and been told that they are awaiting supplies...
I call yesterday and was told they won't get supplies till 2010 shock.

Obviously they have reasurred me dd isn't at risk as she may already have some immunity and its more dangerous for teenage boys (or puberty)...

Anyone else in similar situation to us.? Any advice..?

Ds is 2 so a year or so off these boosters but advice is appreciated.

I have asked if we can go abroard to get them but she advised me the supplier/manufacturer have ceased production..so all in same boat...hmm...

lockets Sat 30-May-09 10:40:15

Message withdrawn

shhhh Sat 30-May-09 10:44:59

so do you not think I should be worried..?

I was shocked when told the wait and then when supplies come in it will be given 1st to those unvaccinated...

Just a bit concerned with her starting school in sept..

Musukebba Sat 30-May-09 11:40:34

Can I ask which is the greater worry for you: the actual disease of mumps, or giving your DD the combined MMR?

shhhh Sat 30-May-09 16:35:03

Giving them the combined...Personal choice.

With all the info thats available now, ask yourself "what did Tony Blair give to Leo"..?

And before you ask, "why follow him" my answer would be because of the position he's in and the fact that he has access to info us "public" don't see...

BTW, this isn't to open the debate. I purely wanted advice.

Also, our son was born with a bowel disorder. Advice at the time pointed along the lines of bowel disorders/MMR/Autism/Boys.

We are also lucky enought to have the money to pay for the peace of mind to do them single.

Musukebba Sun 31-May-09 09:48:50

I was just asking in relation to offering you some directed advice; not being at all interested in debating it. What politicians do with their own children in relation to infectious diseases (vaccinate, feed them burgers) is of absolutely no interest either.

However, in trying to help you I don't understand the advice you were given about "dd isn't at risk as she may already have some immunity". Did she already have an earlier single mumps vaccination..?

shhhh Sun 31-May-09 20:15:42

Yes, she has single mmr at around 12+ months so is part way through the singles programme.

Have started another thread at the same time and been advised there is a stop on production and that I shouldn't worry....

spicemonster Sun 31-May-09 20:23:38

Merck is the only company that has the licence to produce mumps vaccines and they have stopped making them and have no plans to start again.

I am very cross with all the clinics offering single vaccines when they don't have any mumps vaccines - I am actually quite tempted to report them to Trading Standards ...

shhhh Sun 31-May-09 20:28:52

I said the same sm to my local clinic..

I asked how they can still be offering single mmr to new customers..I was told that this is because some parents would rather have some cover single than the mmr...

spicemonster Sun 31-May-09 20:50:27

I started a thread about this a few months ago and what is really pissing me off is that they aren't telling parents that they don't have mumps vaccines and aren't going to get any. So they're giving refunds if people want them. But I just feel that's wrong. If I'd wanted only 2 vaccines, then I would have just paid for two.

shhhh Sun 31-May-09 21:47:38

So do you pay upfront for the 3 sm..?

At our clinic we pay as we go iykwim...BUT that doesn't help the fact that we wish we'd know 4 yrs ago (or even 2 yrs ago with ds) that this could happen...YET, not sure what our route would have been had we been told that..hmm

spicemonster Sun 31-May-09 21:52:45

Yes I did! There was a discount (not much but around 20 quid I think) if you got all three and seeing as that was what I wanted, I paid upfront. It has taken me months to get the money back too. I have just reported them to the Trading Standards Authority - I will be interested to see what happens.

Ah - interesting. I have just looked at their website and it now says in red letters on the home page of the vaccinations section that they cannot guarantee mumps availability. That's new and they haven't had any since last summer.

whooosh Sun 31-May-09 21:53:27

I am in the same situation-told by clinic that none will be available till 2010.
TBH -less worried about the mumps thing-just glad they still have measles vaccin available-mealses kills-mumps doesn't (afaik)

EyeballsintheSky Sun 31-May-09 21:55:54

Ah, this explains why we haven't been contacted by the clinic we used for DD's measles vacc in Feb. Six weeks my arse then hmm

shhhh Sun 31-May-09 22:00:12

Yeah, eyeballs..Initially when she was due in dec (they did the other 2 and left mumps till last..hmm) they said "oh stocks in soon" and that they would call us.

I have called x3 since and only just been told the delay till 2010 on my 3rd call last week..hmm.

SM,thats shocking..shock. Ours never offered as discount for buying in bulk iykwim although offered discounts for 2nd child being vaccinated.

Interested as to what TS says..

Musukebba Sun 31-May-09 22:16:58

@shhh: I wouldn't necessarily recommend this; but have you considered to have a blood sample taken from your DS and analysed to see whether she has seroconverted to mumps from the first vaccine? If she has, then perhaps you would have much less to worry about.

shhhh Sun 31-May-09 22:26:14

We did consider that prior to the booster programme but decided against it as it may mean a blood test and 3 vaccinations (worse case senario) and didn't fancy putting dd through it...

BUT yes we have thought about having her tested...may just leave her for time being as it seems general advice.

TBH, starting this thread was also to allow me to make sure what we were being told from clinic was right iykwim.

Musukebba Mon 01-Jun-09 06:59:56

OK fair enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now