Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Aluminium and mercury in vaccines - is this true, does it cause autism and is this just in the US?

(19 Posts)
bohemianbint Fri 22-May-09 19:45:05

Sorry if you've read my other post, wasn't aware this new topic existed! Anyway, re-posting:

Forgive me, have only scanned this article which a friend has posted to her blog.

Has anyone come across this - my medical knowledge is very limited so can someone tell me if I should worry or not please? Many thanks!

bohemianbint Fri 22-May-09 19:46:12

Sorry, and this would be the link:

http://www.thinktwice.com/aluminum.pdf

bohemianbint Fri 22-May-09 19:47:15

neither of mine have had the MMR (ds1 too young anyway) but both have had everything else and now I feel like shit. I think I really need to inform myself further about this.

bohemianbint Fri 22-May-09 19:58:29

here's the whole post:

I have recently learned some interesting information about Aluminum ~ note the the American spelling. Don't worry, I still say it the English way, "Aluminium". That pronunciation always gets a laugh, but what happens if it gets into your body is much less funny.

What are the toxicity symptoms of Aluminum poisoning? Alzheimer's Disease; colitis; constipation; headaches; hyperactivity; irritability; loss of appetite, hair or energy; memory loss, neurological disorders, numbness, skin ailments and thyroid disorders. That's what, according to Stephen R. Schechter, N.D. author of Fighting Radiation & Chemical Pollutants with Food, Herbs & Vitamins.

What he doesn't address in his book is the fact that Aluminum is present in a number of vaccines given to our children. There are 48 doses of 14 vaccines given to your child from birth to age 6. And some of those may contain Thimerosal (Mercury) and others yet contain Aluminum.

If you read this document, you will learn more about how mercury was phased out of prominent vaccines, but then phased in to new vaccines on the list for your baby. Oh, and women in their first trimester of pregnancy too!

http://www.thinktwice.com/aluminum.pdf

And what about aluminum? It's a heavy metal that is found in a number of childhood vaccines, including:

"DTaP, Pediarix (DTaP-Hepatitis B-Polio combination), Pentacel (DTaP-HIB-Polio combination), Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, Haemophilus influenzae B (HIB), Human Papilloma Virus (HPV), and Pneumococcal vaccines."
http://www.nvic.org/doctors-corner/Aluminum-and-Vaccine-Ingredients.aspx

And if you are concerned about how much aluminum is in a vaccine, check this out:

"30 mcg of aluminum per day for a 12 pound 2 month old baby is considered a safe amount. Some vaccines have 7 to 25 times the recommended amount. For example, the Hepatitis B vaccine has 250 mcg of aluminum. The Pediarix vaccine, which is a combination vaccine of DTap, Hepatitis B, and Polio, has 850 mcg of aluminum. It is a little scary to me that my baby could get that much aluminum at one time when it is unknown how babies process an abundance of aluminum."
http://www.themomcrowd.com/aluminum-in-

If you are concerned as to whether your child may have aluminum poisoning, there are tests you can have done:
"All people have small amounts of aluminum in their bodies. Aluminum can be measured in blood, bones, feces, or urine. Urine and blood aluminum measurements can tell you whether you have been exposed to larger-than-normal amounts of aluminum. Measuring bone aluminum can also indicate exposure to high levels, but this requires a bone biopsy."

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/tfacts22.html#bookmark09

If you get a test done, and it proves positive, then there is something natural to try to remedy it. A chiropractic doctor recommended me to check out a homeopathic aluminum detox supplement. Here is the webpage:

http://www.herbalhealer.com/air-pollution.html

This page doesn't exactly give you much info on the aluminum detox... but it only costs $20 a bottle, and I probably should research it a little more before saying anything else.

All I know is that I've read some miracle stories of children recovering from "autism"... or symptoms that are given the label "autistic". If it turns out that these symptoms were caused by heavy metal poisoning, which can be chelated out of the system... who wouldn't want to try it?!

thisisyesterday Fri 22-May-09 20:05:36

get the book "the truth about vaccines"
it has a lot about aluminium in it

bohemianbint Fri 22-May-09 20:06:50

Has this stuff always been in vaccines? Have we all had it?

Can someone please talk to me about this - I think far too hard about everything and am now killing myself thinking I might have poisoned my kids...sad

thisisyesterday Fri 22-May-09 20:11:27

bb, your kids will be fine I am sure.
the vast majority of children are given vaccines and are absolutely fine

mso Wed 27-May-09 19:37:44

you really need to get your evidence from credible sources, not anti vaccination nutcase websites.

this is a good place to start:

www.badscience.net

bohemianbint Wed 27-May-09 21:33:39

Thanks for the link. I was a little hmm that one of those chaps was trying to flog some sort of herbal reversal potion. But can't be good to have these metals in vaccines and therefore your body, can it?

Musukebba Wed 27-May-09 22:15:31

To be honest, a little basic chemistry will show the possible fallacy of people talking about "metals" without discussing how harmless they can be as compounds.

Salt is sodium chloride. We consume it every day and it is absolutely essential for us to survive. On the other hand, considering salt as its component parts: sodium metal will burn a hole right through your hand and inhaling chlorine gas will irreparably damage a large part of your lung tissue. It just depends in what contect you come into contact with it.

Aluminium compounds are used as adjuvants in vaccines to boost the imune response to the peptides in the vaccine. The aluminium is in the form of a compound which has undergone a huge number of safety tests and is about as safe as you can get these days.

And 'chiropracters' offering 'homeopathic remedies' for "aluminium detox" are likely to really only be after your money, I'm afraid.

bohemianbint Thu 28-May-09 09:31:37

Thank you Musukebba. Good points. I really need to get my head around this whole thing, have only skimmed surface arguments and need to inform myself properly. And quickly, so I can stop obsessing about the MMR, as I need to decide that's what we're doing, or not doing, and just stop thinking about it.

Musukebba Fri 29-May-09 11:25:09

As far as I can recall, the autism and measles link was proposed by Wakefield as a possible co-factor for his central hypothesis: that leakage of endorphins from the gut has an effect on the brain, which results in development of autism. I don't remember anything about vaccine adjuvants containing aluminium or thiomersal being implicated, but inevitably the anti-vaccination concerns that people have tend to get blurred.

Whatever people think about Wakefield's hypothesis and whether it remains as a credible one, do remember that he himself said that parents should continue to give their children MMR vaccine.

stuffitlllama Sat 30-May-09 13:36:03

lol at bad science being a good place to start

SOLOisMeredithGrey Sat 30-May-09 13:47:36

Dd still hasn't had the MMR at 2.5 and after speaking to my cousin last night? well...one of my cousins children was talking and developing normally until the MMR and he now at 5 doesn't talk, bangs his head and does not interact with many people at all. I think for now, I'm personally not taking the chance on the MMR. It just can't be good pumping heavy metals into babies and children ~ hell, it's not good giving it to anyone surely?

sarah293 Sat 30-May-09 14:09:41

Message withdrawn

Bucharest Sat 30-May-09 14:20:02

Hope you clonked her on the head with them Riven? grin

sarah293 Sat 30-May-09 14:28:48

Message withdrawn

readbtweenthelines Mon 10-Aug-09 21:10:53

Bump wink bohemianbint

choosyfloosy Mon 10-Aug-09 21:27:13

I'll say straight away that I am pro-vaccine and happily had my son vaccinated with the lot, so that's what the link I have chosen will say. But given the article that you have read, I think it's acceptable to post something that argues against it.

Sorry if this is annoying - I find this article convincing. I don't think I have ever posted on a vaccine thread before and I am not qualified in any way by experience or training.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now