Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

If your DC hasn't had the MMR, what are your reasons & have they had the illness's ?

(141 Posts)
IcantbelieveImForty Fri 22-May-09 17:47:25

If they have had any of the illness's, how have they been ?

I wasn't vaccinated (although I did have rubella age 15) & as a child had mumps & measles.

If they haven't had the illnesses are you assuming they won't because of herd immunity, or are you relying on their healthy immune systems ?

Peachy Fri 22-May-09 17:48:35

DS1 - ds3 have had (though ds3 no booster)

ds4 nope, no chance, my reasons are well recorded but auto immune indicators plus two brothers who have autism.

LissyGlitter Fri 22-May-09 17:51:16

But...why wouldn't you give your kids the MMR? There is absolutely no evidence that I know of to say you shouldn't. Unless your kid actually has a proper reason, you are putting all the other kids at risk by not doing it. Selfish and ill-informed scaremongering.

crokky Fri 22-May-09 17:53:15

My DC have had the single jabs instead of the MMR because:

1) A girl I went to school with had the MMR and then had severe bowel problems requiring multiple surgeries

2) 2 of my siblings have aspergers syndrome so I would say my family are generally susceptible to autism

3) MMR controversy has been going on over 20 years - I think if there really was no problem, it would have gone away by now.

I don't think I would recommend catching measles - it is a nasty illness. Both my DC had measles jabs and had a textbook reaction - temp etc, DS had spots - this was only the reaction to the jab so the illness itself can be quite nasty I believe.

Rubella will not hurt your DC (I think), but it will harm a pg woman.

Mumps - a child will be OK (I think) but it can cause infertility in boys.

Peachy Fri 22-May-09 17:56:59

Have you actually read the papers involved Lissy before you criticise? I eman you, not through the newspapers?

And if being a selfish bitch possibly in my head protects my kids then i will tattoo I am a selfish fucking bitch and stuff the rest of you on my forehead.

Imagine this scenario. It's MY life remember, I HAVE those 2 autistic kids tocare for, not you me, nobody else helps or eases that workload itas all me and DH.

Anyway scenario: ds4 has a large chance of asd. I can

A) do everything in my power to prevcent it no matter how tiny the chance of it being relevant (am also following a GF CF diet, extended BF, sign language classes)

or

B)drop soemthing from the regime of maybe's and spend the remainder of my life hating myself just in case

I know you won't care and I won't care you don't care (actually as I have to pack for holiday I won't know) but note that the other 3 were vaccinated, therefore I am not simply rejecting for no reason.

And if I am selfish bitch on this- well heck I am the opposite in every other field of my life so am putting myself and my kids first for once.

Peachy Fri 22-May-09 17:57:45

(oh the only reason ds4 hasn't ahd the single jab is that DH got redundancy last month, I am a carer and so we had to cancel the Appt)

MrsGuyOfGisbourne Fri 22-May-09 18:01:13

No - single jabs for measles and mumps, tho' if I had another child would not bother with the mumps jab. The infertility thing is MASSIVELY overhyped by the pharma industry. Side effects can occur with any medical intervention or drug, so you have to weigh the risks versus the benefits for the individual not the 'herd' (which is not quantifiable). In some cases the benefits significantly outweigh the risk of side effects - tetanus for example. Many people ( me included) have immunity from rubella despite never having any symptons from it tho' must have had it at some point- it is a very mild illness. If you are planning a preganancy obviously you should be vaccinated if you are not immune, but for small children there is NO compelling reason for having that jab, and as it the jab has been associated with arthritis, good reason to avoid it if you have a family susceptibility, as we have.

TotalChaos Fri 22-May-09 18:01:40

DS only had first MMR, he had developmental problems at 3, so I put off second MMR and couldn't afford single jabs. And then he got measles at 4.9. He wasn't particularly unwell with it, no more so than a cold.

pagwatch Fri 22-May-09 18:01:57

My son was developing normally - had just had his developmental check - and then had his MMR at 18 months and a week.
He imediately lost all speech and all developed skills, developed food and gut issues and regressed very very quickly. Diagnosed as severly autistic just a few months later.

I don't rely on herd immunity but i will not risk MMR with my DD for very obvious reasons ( well obvious to all but the incredibly dim witted and Lizzyglitter the randomly offensive)

QOD Fri 22-May-09 18:01:59

single dose measles & german for her as neice has brain damage from mmr & catching chicken pox on top
No mumps jab (though now I wonder if the clinic did say they dont give to girls, but infact just didnt have it)
She hasnt had mumps although it has just been around her school
I had all 3 diseases

silverfrog Fri 22-May-09 18:05:30

dd1 had all her baby jabs (and then some - we lived abroad, so she had a few on top, then we came back to the Uk when she was 5 months old, her jab schedule was out of kilter, and they gave her them all again shock - oh if I had my time again...) and first MMr. She has not had any since.

dd2 has had no jabs at all, due to dd1's history (ASD, dodgy gut issues) plus general family history (bowel issues on both sides, ASD in family on both sides).

It also seems that dd2 has som sort of mitochondrial disorder, so I am very glad I held off on her jabs.

clumsymum Fri 22-May-09 18:17:37

DS didn't have MMR as a baby / toddler (he's 9 now), as my stepson is autistic (born before MMR was invented, autistic from birth), and DH and I agreed that while there was any doubt at all, we wouldn't risk it.

We were promised single jabs, and got the rubella one at hospital, but then the bloody govt stopped allowing them at all under the NHS, and I found it impossible to arrange just getting 2 out of the 3 privately shock

DS had some sort of infection with red blotches, sore throat & temp when he was about 3 1/2. I harbour my suspicions it was mild measles, but the GP refused to actually diagnose it as such (Viral infection was all he'd say, isn't that what measles is?)

DS had MMR when he was 8, because
a) we were going to the Carribean islands where the risk is greater & med care less reliable,
b) we judged his system was probably mature enough to handle the 3 hits together
c) We knew that the risk of severe side effects from the illnesses themselves increases with age.

I don't blame anyone who decides not to allow MMR. Why this chuffing Govt wouldn't just give in, and let use choose single vaccines is beyond me. Just a pig headed "you'll do it our way" attitude I think.

Peachy Fri 22-May-09 18:40:40

Well thanks a lot Lizzyglitter!

I was shouting to Dh that I needed to tattoo Im an fucking selfish bitch etc on my forehead and did he think the artist on Chepstow road would do it for me, when I realised he was chatting to a neighbour outside.

Bugger!

grin

MarlaSinger Fri 22-May-09 18:46:28

I love it when people make stupid statements like that, it is very telling.

My 18 month old has not had it. I am still, STILL, in two minds about it. I need to be as sure as I can. And he needs to be as healthy as possible if I do give him it. He is just getting over chicken pox so I'm not in a rush. I need to give him more time to develop.

I had decided to have singles, but feel I cannot go ahead as long as I am in two minds.

It is not an easy decision to make, whatever some people think.

MarlaSinger Fri 22-May-09 18:48:38

That's interesting clumsymum, the clinic I was planning to go to does give a discount if you have all three, but offers each individually as well, no need to have all three done.

I do think the govt should let parents choose though.

OlympedeGouges Fri 22-May-09 18:52:22

thse of you whose children haven't had particular jabs, have you had any problems at schools or nurseries? Do you always declare it? we have delayed certain vaccines because of health problems and wondering about the school issues.

HecatesTwopenceworth Fri 22-May-09 18:52:25

Mine did not have the mmr because at that time, the "mmr causes autism" thing was all over the place. And we were scared. So they had the single vaccines instead.

I do not think it matters that they did not have the mmr. It's not an mmr or nothing choice, is it?

- ironically, they both have autism anyway. So I think we can rule out mmr as the cause of theirs! grin

Peachy Fri 22-May-09 18:53:56

The only issues we ahd olympedes were when school tolda parent ds3 hadnt had any jabs when in fact he'd had his MMR late and didnt need the booster at that point (not ahd it now mind),nobody else ever asked

silverfrog Fri 22-May-09 18:57:05

not had any issues so far, but mine are still small.

dd1 is at a SN school, I would hope that they would not question my decisions re: her health (it's an ASD specific school)

dd2 is only 2, and does not yet even go to playgroups (we used to go to a toddler group, and a few other activities, which we attended before she was born, and they all knew she was unvaccinated)

WinkyWinkola Fri 22-May-09 18:57:51

"Mumps.... can cause infertility in boys."

Now this is scare mongering nonsense. If a man gets mumps, it rarely causes orchitis (swelling of the testicles) and even more rarely, can cause infertility.

There is a lot of fear and misinformation in both pro and concerned-about-vaccine camps.

isenhart7 Fri 22-May-09 18:58:22

Herd immunity AND healthy immune systems. Also, babies were kept home and later (much) immunized for school/travel reasons.

sarah293 Fri 22-May-09 19:01:17

Message withdrawn

Peachy Fri 22-May-09 19:02:33

there's a school of thought that the MMR wears off and so is pushing the disease into the more susceptible age ranges for side effects such as infertility

I'd rather ds4 caught normal wild mumps as a tiddler tbh. I had it and only had a day off school.

Rubella is a non issue for boys I understand.
I would get a dd vaccinated probably but have none soc an't say, even then same as above; i'd prefer wild then immunise if not had it at puberty.

Measles I would prefer single jab but cannot, and won't actively avoid as I believe (and we can all beleive what we 3wish, asd cause related, fairies, flying spghetti monsters, whatever) its less of a risk for ds4 than the MMR. For him, with his make up and genetics. he's started talking, is pointing and sociable, I'm not risking losing that

IcantbelieveImForty Fri 22-May-09 19:02:35

sorry to hear your stories.

My DD1 hasn't had her MMR either & has recently had mumps. She had a sore throat & a swollen neck, but wasn't unwell. The Dr made a point of stating she woudn't have caught it if she'd had the MMR - but I have since read it's the one that is most likely to fail. He prescribed nurofen, presumably to keep her temperature down & told her to rest, although she didn't feel the need to.

I've chosen not to have the MMR because I think (& hope) that she has a good healthly immune system. We eat healthily & she was breastfed for a long time. I think having a live vaccination injected into her may compromise her health & her immunity. Obviously I was very worried when it was mumps, but now I am wondering if there is unnecessary scaremongering with regard to these illness ?

This is my current thought process & I am very keen to read other, informed, opinions.

OlympedeGouges Fri 22-May-09 19:07:37

thanks Peachy. I am wondering though, having read the full range of opinions on MN [often rather like LissyGlitter's] if children who do not have certain vaccines are treated like social pariahs at school. If you have one vaccine damaged child, people are probably more understanding [hopefully] but if you have a child who has had health problems but nothing joe bloggs would understand, iyswim, who has not had a certain vaccine, I am very worried about how they might be treated. [braces self for onslaught]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now