Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

measles booster at 17?

(10 Posts)
yoey Mon 18-May-09 21:09:37

Hello. I've used the Mumsnet community's advice for a million different things relating to my 10 month old daughter but now I have a question about my other child who's almost 17 years old. I've not posted on Mumsnet before and I'm a bit of a Luddite when it comes to communicating via the computer, so apologies in advance for nervous lack of humour and already rambling. Here's what I'm seeking advice about...

My nearly-17 year old boy is at college where there's been a case of measles. He was immunised with the MMR jab when he was 14 months old (in 1993). At the time there was only one MMR jab. Should he have a second MMR jab now? Or a single measles jab?

Thanks for any advice and sorry if I don't reply quickly- my lovely 10 month old still considers herself to be a newborn!

campion Sat 23-May-09 01:04:38

Since no-one has replied, I will smile.

Both my sons had another MMR in their late teens as they'd only had the ( then standard) one.The usual advice now is to have 2 ( neighbour's 16 yr old son was hospitalised with Mumps and he'd just had the one jab). Universities are quite keen on this as there have been cases of Measles and Mumps on campus. Our GP surgery were happy to oblige and DS1 even asked if he got a sweet for being brave!

yoey Tue 26-May-09 14:44:43

Thank you Campion... very reassuring. He needs his tetanus/diptheria/extreme lethargy/monosyllabicness jabs too so I'll get the poor boy punctured after his exams. Our surgery advised him to come along to the baby clinic, which should please him no end. Thanks again for your advice.

campion Tue 26-May-09 18:24:00

Just a word of warning, yoey. The extreme lethargy / monosyllabicness one doesn't work at all and could even make it worse! I'm still waiting for the after effects to wear off with DS1 wink

expatinscotland Tue 26-May-09 18:43:22

He needs another jab if he only had the one.

And make it an MMR, PLEASE!

Getting mumps as an adult can affect male (and female) fertility if the mumps attacks their gonads.

I worked in a university where we saw quite a few cases of mumps in young adults and in some, they did not know if they were going to have problems having children later on.

None had had an MMR booster.

I had one when I was 18 before entering university, as the year before there had een a large measles outbreak.

sarah293 Tue 26-May-09 18:44:51

Message withdrawn

campion Tue 26-May-09 21:10:08

It didn't affect my neighbour's son's fertility, expat ( see above). He'd got his girlfriend pregnant within the year!

Maybe he was testing the theory hmm

expatinscotland Tue 26-May-09 21:17:46

It can, though, camp.

There was a thread on here the other day about a sleb couple who are having twins via an American surrogate.

The husband's fertility was affected by mumps he contracted well into adulthood.

sad

stuffitlllama Sat 30-May-09 13:04:55

mmr can still cause damage during teens ..well I've read of one case..

StewieGriffinsMom Sun 31-May-09 10:03:54

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now