Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

AIBU

(12 Posts)
thebabysmellsofpooagain Sat 04-Aug-18 13:23:37

Hi, am after a bit of input!

DS has just received his vaccination reminder for his 1y jabs and MMR is on the list to be administered.

AIBU to be worried about him having the MMR? I've scoured the internet and everything I've read states that the claim linking the MMR to autism is utter shite but I can't help but be worried. DH says if I'm worried, he'll pay for he individual vaccines.

What is the general consensus on this? Should we pay for the individual jabs?

Help!!!

SharpLily Sat 04-Aug-18 13:28:12

You are being unreasonable. Any claims linking the MMR to autism have been soundly and thoroughly debunked.

NonaGrey Sat 04-Aug-18 13:30:40

Despite the Internet hysteria the vast majority of people give their child the MMR without any fuss at all.

TickTockBaby Sat 04-Aug-18 13:30:43

You are being unreasonable
Massively flawed and widely discredited study, now the impact of the previous anti-vaxxers is contributing to measles outbreaks in various places.

RoboJesus Sat 04-Aug-18 13:31:00

Do you stop your child from watching TV because it will make their eyes go square?

shewolfmum Thu 09-Aug-18 23:29:46

Research research...

jazzyfizzles Thu 09-Aug-18 23:31:40

In the grand scheme of things, I'd rather my DC alive with autism than brown bread because of one of those diseases I didn't vaccinate against.

Perspective

Windyone Thu 09-Aug-18 23:35:49

YABU "scouring the internet" is a bad idea

Plimmy Sat 11-Aug-18 04:39:13

Ignore people who tell you to conduct your own research. They are fools.

Get advice and information from the NHS.

cazzyg Sun 19-Aug-18 21:53:58

There is no link and you also cannot get single vaccines anymore. There is no available mumps and rubella vaccine available.

If you want your DS to be protected, then there is no other option.

I’m of an age where I remember a time when children did get rubella, measles and mumps. I remember having mumps and rubella and being seriously ill and in isolation aged 7 with whooping cough. Almost 40 years on I still have memories of having these diseases.

Racecardriver Sun 19-Aug-18 21:58:38

YABU. There is absolutely no link between MMR and autism. However there is a strong correlation between MMR and not dying!

Ekphrasis Fri 31-Aug-18 08:36:46

I wrote an essay on all this; google everything by Ben Goldacre (bad science) and Brian Deere. It's quite shocking how the media and world figures played this story as well as of course Andrew Wakefield. It's total rubbish.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: