Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Chicken pox vaccine - time frame discrepancy??

(3 Posts)
BurtTyrannosaurusMacklin Thu 07-Jun-18 21:32:47

Hi, I’m hoping there may be someone on here who can help me who either works in healthcare or wha has given their child the chicken pox vaccine.

My child is 1 year old, will be two in a few months. She had one dose of the chicken pox vaccine at a CityDoc clinic about 5 weeks ago. Everything I have read, including CityDoc’s own website and the NHS web page says that the second dose should be administered within 4-8 weeks. I seem to remember reading somewhere when I was researching the vaccine that dose 2 should be done “no more than 8 weeks” after the first dose.

However, after contacting the clinic to book in for the second dose for next week, I have been informed that “there must be at least 3 months between doses”. I queried why this information differs from the guideance online and was told it is due to my child’s age that she could not have the doses the recommended 6-8 weeks apart, however I have not seen this information reflected anywhere else and have unfortunately lost the leaflet I was given from the vaccine.

So, does anyone know, is this correct information that I should wait over three months for dose 2? Or is allowing so much time to elapse potentially going to cause a problem or reduce the effectiveness of the vaccine? I don’t know what to do!

Thank you for any advice or information you can offer!

dementedpixie Thu 07-Jun-18 22:02:55

Which vaccine is it? The nhs site has links to the info leaflets (this is info from one of them):

VARIVAX is given by injection as follows:
• Infants from 9 months to 12 months of age: Under special circumstances (to conform with national vaccination schedules or in outbreaks of
chickenpox), VARIVAX may be administered between 9 and 12 months of age. To ensure optimal protection against chickenpox, two doses of VARIVAX are needed and should be given at least three months apart.

• Children from 12 months to 12 years of age: To ensure optimal protection against chickenpox, two doses of VARIVAX should be given at least one month apart.

• Children from 12 months to 12 years of age with asymptomatic HIV: VARIVAX should be given as two doses by injection 12 weeks apart. Please ask your
healthcare provider for more information.

• Teenagers 13 years of age and older and adults: VARIVAX is given as two doses by injection. The second dose should be given 4 to 8 weeks after the first dose.

The number and timing of doses should be determined by your doctor, using the official recommendations.

(The 4-8 weeks is for teens and adults not small children)

bawbles Wed 13-Jun-18 16:25:22

My baby has just had the chickenpox vaccine (varivax)and the doctor advised that it was a minimum 6 weeks between doses but said don't worry when we come back as he gets good coverage from the one dose and countries such as USA use a year between doses.

We live rurally and had to travel to the clinic so will just book in next time we are planning a trip into town which will likely be pre Christmas.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: