Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Flu vaccine

(10 Posts)
crustyface Mon 12-Feb-18 22:28:38

I just spent the weekend sharing a room with someone who clearly had the flu. Now home but worried that a) I might get it and b) I might pass it onto to DS who hasn't had the flu vaccine. He's 5 but was away from school on vaccine day. Is there any point in quickly getting him vaccinated now or has that ship sailed?

ScaredMum22 Wed 14-Feb-18 18:31:44

Yes I would get it for yourself and for him, preferably ask for the quadrivalent one. Mine missed it at school and when I got it in Jan for them docs only had the trivalent one left, now feeling very guilty and worried. You can pay privately if you can find somewhere to do it.

Mine had no side effects other than a sore arm for a couple of days. Even if you still catch it, then the vaccine should make it milder xx

crustyface Wed 14-Feb-18 22:53:35

Thanks so much scared. I called the GP and they said they had no vaccines left! So will be calling Boots tomorrow and see if I can get private ones. Do you know how long the incubation period is? My friend was so so ill, I’ve never seen her like that. I’m genuinely a bit scared.

ScaredMum22 Sun 18-Feb-18 22:08:25

Hi sorry I didn't see this. I think incubation period is 1-4 days. Did you manage to get a vaccine anywhere??

dementedpixie Sun 18-Feb-18 22:12:14

Vaccine takes a coupe of weeks to work though so you might be a bit late getting it

dementedpixie Sun 18-Feb-18 22:12:27

Couple*

crustyface Sun 18-Feb-18 23:00:10

Well to be absolutely honest it's been half term, and the Winter Olympics... And I sort of haven't got round to contacting anyone about getting the vaccine privately. I have had chesty cough for six weeks so they might not give it to me anyway. It's been a week and I have no flu so I'm hoping we've somehow got away with it. My poor friend still poorly and now has bronchitis. Should I still get my 5yo vaccinated? I also heard that this years vaccine is a bit pointless and less than 20% effective.

ScaredMum22 Mon 19-Feb-18 12:03:17

I would still get it for 5y.o cause it will make it milder if they do catch it, and know what kids are like with hands everywhere lol. You seem to have not caught it from friend at least xx

shewolfmum Sat 03-Mar-18 00:19:35

Get some elderberry

perfectstorm Mon 05-Mar-18 23:21:38

My two were vaccinated in the autumn. My mother was vaccinated at my insistence when my husband came down with flu - I booked in for myself, but it hit before the appointment.

My husband and I were really, really ill. The other three didn't get it.

The flu vax protects against several strains. One, the effectiveness is low. We clearly didn't get that strain, as the vaccinated family members were protected, and the two who weren't were very ill.

My husband and I will get vaccinated in Boots every year from now on. He hates needles, but after this experience, he isn't arguing!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: