Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Pro vaxx vs anti vaxx

(152 Posts)
Tleigh Tue 30-Jan-18 09:44:59

Hello, I was looking for different opinions regarding vaccinations. Who vaccinated and why and who doesn't vaccinate and why?

I've read previous posts similar and then have gotten quite heated so I ask for your stance on vaccinations and the reason why (and possibly links and research to accompany this) and that's it. Once you have commented please don't question anyone's opinions or anyone's choices. I don't want this thread to turn into a pro vaxx/anti vaxx argument.

TIA
Xx

dementedpixie Tue 30-Jan-18 09:46:07

Why do you want to know? What's your stance on it?

dementedpixie Tue 30-Jan-18 09:46:43

And its not up to you to control how a thread pans out either hmm

Spartacunt Tue 30-Jan-18 09:47:29

Or you could do your own research... there are loads of threads about this already.

Tleigh Tue 30-Jan-18 09:53:13

Because I am unsure myself and I have been researching vaccines but I wanted to expand my research so I can make the best choice.

I am unsure whether to continue with vaccinations or not so I don't particularly have a stance atm. I have read through the previous posts and wanted to see if maybe from posting myself I found any new opinions or facts ...ect.

BertrandRussell Tue 30-Jan-18 09:56:34

“I am unsure whether to continue with vaccinations or not“

Why are you unsure?

bluegreygreenlilac Tue 30-Jan-18 09:57:01

It will almost certainly turn into a pro/anti vax argument, even though some of us don’t categorise ourselves in this way.

85% of posts will state the vaccinations are safe, people who don’t vaccinate are stupid, shouldn’t be allowed to ‘breed’/reference to Darwinism, selfish, some-countries-don’t-let-children-out-of-the-house-without-vaccs-I-wish-we-had-it-here Wakefield was struck off, risks in everything, autism been disproved, how selfish to let your child possibly infect a pregnant woman.

Have I missed anything?

Oh and I chose not to vaccinate.

bruffin Tue 30-Jan-18 09:57:20

Where have you researched?

blackberryfairy Tue 30-Jan-18 09:58:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Hippydippydoo Tue 30-Jan-18 10:00:27

So far I have given DD all of her vaccinations, apart from vitamin k. Having done lots of research here we felt that as DD had a very straight forward birth with no intervention, we would opt out. We were supported with our decision in our hospital.

DD is due her 13-14 month vaccinations in the next few weeks. She will have all of them apart from mmr, which we will be doing privately as individual injections rather than the combined.

Although many discredit the autism link, it still makes me very nervous, and therefore spacing them out is a compromise I'm happy with.

That's just my view, I don't expect everyone to agree with me.

Tleigh Tue 30-Jan-18 10:02:13

Potentially deadly ingredients in a vaccine. Reactions. Side effects. Natural alternatives to vaccines.
I just would like to expand my knowledge and get different views on the matter.

Tleigh Tue 30-Jan-18 10:03:03

And then on the other side. The diseases vaccines have eradicated. The protection they create. Not just for my child but for the community

NerrSnerr Tue 30-Jan-18 10:03:21

Although many discredit the autism link

The link with autism has been proved not to be true. Wakefield went to prison for his fraudulent research.

THERE IS NO LINK BETWEEN AUTISM AND THE MMR

Hippydippydoo Tue 30-Jan-18 10:04:48

@nerrsnerr calm down, it's quite clear that I don't sit on either side of the fence with this one, as DD will still be getting her injections, just separately.

Why people get so irate about this blows my mind.

Tleigh Tue 30-Jan-18 10:05:00

Thank you for that as you seem you've given me the only helpful response so far.

NerrSnerr Tue 30-Jan-18 10:06:39

@Hippydippydoo I apologise for appearing irate. Saying many people discredit it suggests that there is still some doubt over the link between MMR and autism when there is not. I was just making the facts clear.

AccrualIntentions Tue 30-Jan-18 10:06:43

If you want to expand your knowledge you should expand your knowledge. But I don't see why different views from a bunch of people on the internet, the vast majority of whom will have no medical or research training, will expand your knowledge in any way.

FWIW I've never seen any anti-vax argument made by anyone who I feel has more training and knowledge than the people I take my advice from (or that I didn't think was a bit woo in most respects, but that's by the by). So on that basis it was an unbelievably easy decision for me.

Abracadabraapileofbollocks Tue 30-Jan-18 10:06:47

There's not so much as pro vax as not an idiot gullible in the 90's.
But if you can't bear to think that a completely made up link might somehow be true then use the scales:
Death vs autism.

Thegruffaloswifey Tue 30-Jan-18 10:08:17

DS had all vaccinations plus extras offered due to his heritage and then further paid for privately that weren't available for him on the NHS (meningitis b and chicken pox). Pro vaccination as I've seen what the diseases can do to children who haven't had them.

FadedRed Tue 30-Jan-18 10:08:45

Have a read of this:
www.gov.uk/government/collections/immunisation-against-infectious-disease-the-green-book

12345OnceCaughtAFish Tue 30-Jan-18 10:09:02

Soliciting opinions (and potentially ill-informed and unqualified ones at that) on an internet forum does not constitute research ffs

bluegreygreenlilac Tue 30-Jan-18 10:09:30

Idiots like this lady?

happymummy12345 Tue 30-Jan-18 10:09:45

Personally I don't see why anyone wouldn't vaccinate. My ds has had all his. I never thought twice about any of them.

LRH1983 Tue 30-Jan-18 10:14:52

confused

"Natural alternatives to vaccines."

Such as???

SharpLily Tue 30-Jan-18 10:15:29

My experience of anti-vaxers in my local area is that they are younger than me and grew up up since MMR and other vaccines became standard. They have not experienced the effects of not being vaccinated - my eyesight was ruined by measles. My childhood neighbours, twin boys, had mumps at a young age and were made infertile. The list goes on.

Of a certain age we all know people who were badly affected by childhood diseases so while I was not particularly happy about injecting my child with the unpleasant contents of vaccines, my personal experience convinced me that this was easily the lesser of two evils.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: