Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Bursary to independent school - ex-husband's income/permission?

(8 Posts)
pianoforte1 Mon 04-Dec-17 14:11:21

I have a bright Year 5 child and am a single mum with a part-time job. I've been divorced since December 2011 and receive spousal and child maintenance. The spousal maintenance will cease when my son starts at secondary school. I'd like him to try for a bursary to a local independent school for Year 7. I am only on about £12k a year and have a 10 yr old car and a mortgage on my 1960s terrace. I get child tax credits and my son is Pupil Premium. Will the independent schools demand that my ex-husband pays the fees even though I am primary carer for my son and have been since 2009? I doubt he would agree to pay towards fees because he will be rejoicing that he only has to pay Child Maintenance from that point (as part of our original divorce settlement and court order). Will my ex's salary (no idea what he is on now - possibly £65k) ruin any chance of a bursary for my son?
Any insights gratefully received!

AssassinatedBeauty Mon 04-Dec-17 14:12:38

I think this may be in the wrong section?

petitdonkey Mon 04-Dec-17 14:12:52

I am fairly certain that they will take your exes salary into consideration - they go through everything.

pianoforte1 Mon 04-Dec-17 14:14:39

Assasinated beauty - you're right - wrong section! I can't work out how to put it into the correct topic! I clicked on 'Start a new thread' but couldn't see how to change the topic! Apologies!

RestingGrinchFace Mon 04-Dec-17 14:14:53

Many schools still offer bursaries at 65k-it's but very much ifyou are sending your child to private school-you may have to consider a more expensive/exclusive school though. These schools also offer scholarships that offer a percentage off of fees.

NewtsSuitcase Mon 04-Dec-17 14:15:53

IME both salaries will be taken into consideration otherwise you could falsify the true picture.

Bursary is unlikely to cover the whole of the fees though in any event and you need to consider all of the other things you have to pay for ie uniform, meals, extra curricular activities, trips etc. Pupil premium doesn't apply to independent schools does it? How can it?

pianoforte1 Mon 04-Dec-17 14:18:46

Pupil Premium doesn't count for the private sector but I thought it would be taken into consideration on a bursary application?

pianoforte1 Mon 04-Dec-17 14:19:38

I think I've opened a thread under 'Education' now - apologies for adding this to Vaccinations!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now