Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Flu jab

(11 Posts)
Laura25o6 Wed 11-Oct-17 08:09:32

Hi all

I had my first flu jab as an adult last week and now I’m so poorly as ever, Isn’t the jab meant to protect you from getting it?

My under arm swelled up and was extremely painful the day after too. Like I say I’ve never had the flu jab before so I’m asking is this normal?

Doctors have said it’ll pass, I’m coughing up thick green mucus and also blowing out from my nose. I’ve always had a winter bug which lasts usually a couple of days but this is lasting longer, I’m lethargic, head booming plus I have two children that need looking after and I’m finding it hard getting out of bed.

Love
Poorly mummy.

mrwalkensir Thu 12-Oct-17 12:54:28

Hi - I always have the flu jab. Normally only swollen for a day or two. The GP one this year has four strains ( not sure if that’s more than usual) whereas the Asda etc just have three. Seven days later it still aches and like you I’m shattered all day - was worried until I looked it up and realised it was a side effect - hope it passes soon! Good luck!

OddBoots Thu 12-Oct-17 12:56:58

The flu jab takes 14-21 days to be effective, it is quite probably you have caught something in the mean time. Sorry to hear you feel so unwell though.

mrwalkensir Thu 12-Oct-17 13:07:27

Hi - yep, was thinking the mucus and headache may well be something that you were already stewing. The tiredness and sore arm thing though is very noticeable this year.

Laura25o6 Thu 12-Oct-17 13:48:47

Thanks all. Yesterday I felt so ill ended up being physically sick and slept a few hours once I’d got a sitter for my kids. Today I’m bouncing. Still a mild cough but that’ll go in no time.

The under arm pain is mild too but swelling still there. Xx

mrwalkensir Thu 12-Oct-17 17:15:13

Also of course flu is already out there - have had friends bed bound with it for four days here... so you might have been unlucky and had a bout brewing just when you had the job...

mrwalkensir Thu 12-Oct-17 18:13:14

Jab not job

icedtea Thu 12-Oct-17 18:21:12

Sadly becoming poorly straight after the flu jab is not unusual. I stopped having the flu jab four years ago and have never been ill since.

Flomper Thu 12-Oct-17 18:27:40

i always get the flu jab, never had anybissues except for an achey arm fpmor a couple of days. I had it at the GP weekend before last and this week have been in bed with flu all week! Not sure if its coincedence or from the jab.

To be fair it was a oain but only really lasted 5 days wheras proper flu, which Ive had, knocks you out for weeks, so maybe it gave me a mild version or made the one i picked up milder.

yikesanotherbooboo Thu 12-Oct-17 18:48:32

The respiratory symptoms are unlikely to be due to the vaccine as it is not live.
Sitting in a crowd or in a doctors waiting room probably exposed you to the virus.
Bruising and a bit of tenderness often happen after any vaccine.

icedtea Fri 13-Oct-17 18:33:44

More bad news about this year's vaccine - the most common strain appears to have mutated since it was formulated into the vaccine. All in all, I'm glad I didn't have the jab.
www.theaustralian.com.au/news/health-science/mutating-flu-strain-too-fast-for-vaccine/news-story/8dbac750b28dca758bd7949ca66dea94

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now