Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Nowhere will give my 12-year old the flu jab

(7 Posts)
BanyanTree Mon 09-Oct-17 10:39:00

Up until the end of year 6 my primary school has given the DC an annual flu vaccination. My DS is now in year 7 and having been told we are just about to get a very nasty fly season I wanted to carry on getting the vaccination for him.

Boots, other pharmacies and my local GPO won't do it. I am of course prepared to pay for it.

I was questioned WHY I want him to have it. He is not in a high risk category and is generally fit healthy. The only reason why I wanted to get it for him is because he now travels on crowded public transport and is in a much larger school and I thought if he is going to get it, its probably now.

My DH gets given the flu jab at work for free and I get it annually at Boots.

What is the problem exactly with getting my 12-year old the flu jab in the run up to a bad flu season?

BanyanTree Mon 09-Oct-17 10:39:32

GP, not GPO (what is that?)

SofiaAmes Mon 09-Oct-17 10:40:37

wow, is that standard for the uk? Here in the US, it's standard to give all children the flu jab.

dementedpixie Mon 09-Oct-17 10:44:42

Our primary school kids get it in Scotland but not secondary school children. Ds got it but dd didn't. Dh and i don't get it either

LouisaYFR Thu 07-Dec-17 21:04:13

Hi just found that Superdrugs are doing a private flu vaccine from 6 months up google it they ask for your post code and tell you which is your nearest point doing it I myself have 3 under 5s and was told last month as my 2 and 3 yr old were given the nasal spray that my 11 month old baby cannot as she was too young I’m waiting for her runny nose to clear up so I can take her as I only realised I could vaccinate her against flu half an hr ago while searching for you it’s ridiculous I would of paid at my gp had they asked would of been nice to have a choice instead of being lied to wish I knew all this last month

dementedpixie Thu 07-Dec-17 21:21:52

It won't be the nasal one for that age though so would probably be the injection

VanGoghsLeftEar Thu 07-Dec-17 21:28:07

It's not offered to anyone in SE London unless there is a sound medical reason such as Asthma, heart problems, other lung and breathing issues. My daughter has never had it. I have never had it. My father in law has it because he's nearly seventy and his smoking leaves him open to bronchitis.I have no idea why it is necessary unless there are medical grounds. Your son is fit and healthy, so he doesn't need it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: