Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Flu jab-to have or not

(91 Posts)
Koba88 Sun 08-Oct-17 10:23:40

I'm currently 31 weeks pregnant and have been advised to have my flu jab next week at my doctors surgery. To my recollection I have never had flu and usually get one cold per winter, when I asked my midwife what she would advise she said 'well it is what the NHS do advise so I have to go from that standpoint and advise you'. My friend is 32 weeks and was very ill after having her jab. I have no clue what to do! If I get sick and have to take time off work there are threats of me being performance managed as I was off for a while at start of pregnancy with HG.....

shewolfmum Sun 08-Oct-17 21:02:52

If asking if people would or wouldn't...i wouldn't. Not tested in pregnant ladies.

FluffyFlowerFace Sun 08-Oct-17 21:04:00

I had mine at 33 weeks I work in health care so my risk is higher and flu in the mother can make you extremely ill. It's a no brainer for me

eurochick Sun 08-Oct-17 21:07:21

I didn't but I had a summer pregnancy when there was little flu about. I probably would for a winter pregnancy.

dertyyuoih2 Sun 08-Oct-17 21:12:35

I had it, no side effects no nothing. Rather have the jab than get flu to be honest, side effects are so minimal. My now 2.5 year old will get his flu vaccination this week, he’s got asthma so I’d rather he doesn’t get flu!

FreeButtonBee Sun 08-Oct-17 21:17:52

My mum works for an NHS trust and apparently the flu bugs this year are really bad. Aus have already had them and her trust is really pushing the vaccine for staff. So I will be getting it. She's not usually pushy about such things (and hasn't actually had the jab herself for the past few years). So I trust her judgment

ohnowhatcanido Sun 08-Oct-17 21:27:45

I've had mine. No side effects whatsoever.

Proper flu is horrific. It's debilitating and there is a reason the jab is offered to pregnant ladies. It's partly due to the fact that during pregnancy your immune system is lower (I think) so you are already more likely than normal to pick flu up. Secondly, a really bad case of flu could end up with complications which could in turn endanger the baby.

On a personal level, I also would like to avoid having flu with a newborn. That would not be fun. My DS has had the nasal vaccine too as I don't want him to be unwell with it, especially while we have a newborn.

ohnowhatcanido Sun 08-Oct-17 21:31:27

Just read this. I honestly think you'd be mad not to just have it.

www.nhs.uk/Conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/Pages/flu-jab-vaccine-pregnant.aspx

To the PP who said it wasn't tested in pregnant ladies - this is what the NHS have to say on that matter. Just as an FYI.

"Studies have shown that it's safe to have the flu vaccine during any stage of pregnancy, from the first few weeks up to your expected due date."

Raisinbrain Sun 08-Oct-17 21:46:54

I have one every year including when pregnant.

LurkingQuietly Sun 08-Oct-17 22:14:27

My dr told me this week that this years strain is so bad the surgery are considering giving the jab to anyone who asks, not just those at risk. I would have it. No doubt.

YouCantCallMeBetty Sun 08-Oct-17 22:26:55

I had it last week at 32 weeks. Sore arm for a few days but otherwise fine. If I understood the nurse who gave it to me correctly then the jab can't make you ill, it isn't a live vaccine. So any illness afterwards is coincidence (unless you have jab when you're already ill with a temperature).

Eminybob Sun 08-Oct-17 22:32:50

I'm pretty sure that it's illegal to performance manage you for pregnancy related illness so the HG can't be taken into account in your overall sickness record.

I had the flu jab while pregnant and was fine. I've never had flu either but go with the advice of the medical professionals.

Littlebelina Mon 09-Oct-17 09:30:48

As eminy said they can't use pregnancy related sickness for performance issues. If you didn't tell them it was hg when you were off tell them now and maybe give acas a call if they do try to use it against you.

Phillipa12 Mon 09-Oct-17 09:38:22

I have the flu jab if im pregnant or not, i used to nanny for a consultant anesthetist, she advised me to have it as they had already admitted a number of pregnant ladies with flu and a couple had ended up in intensive care, imo its a must esp when pregnant.

Koba88 Mon 09-Oct-17 11:26:33

They knew I was off with HG and had bouts of collapsing but what they are saying is that it goes down as 'abscence management' but the final outcome of that is dismissal so technically that would fall under performance management. Just unnecessarily stressing me out tbh sad

Lunalovepud Mon 09-Oct-17 16:13:16

I've had the flu shot in both pregnancies (2015 and 2017) and no side effects, no problems, both babies fine.

I have never had the flu and like you, rarely get colds etc but I decided to get the vaccination because pregnancy lowers your immune system and pregnant ladies can get very ill with the flu. The vaccination also passes on some passive immunity to your baby when he or she arrives.

I was also worried about it never being tested on pregnant women but the reason for this is because ethically, no-one would test a drug specifically on pregnant women and not because it is dangerous for use in pregnancy.

If you are worried them please speak to your midwife or practice nurse - they should be able to give you all of the information you need to set your mind at rest.

Littlebelina Mon 09-Oct-17 17:47:42

Umm, I might be tempted to phone acas if I was you and get their take on it. This is what maternity action have to say www.maternityaction.org.uk/advice-2/mums-dads-scenarios/pregnant/sickness-during-pregnancy-and-maternity-leave/
They should be recording the sickness separately and sounds like it is stressing you out

Mumchatting Wed 11-Oct-17 00:15:48

Hi, I had flu jab in both my pregnancies (2013 & 2016) and no side effects. First time I had a bit of sore arm but totally manageable. Second time not even sore arm.

I also had whooping caught vaccines both times and again, no problems at all.

shewolfmum Wed 11-Oct-17 14:29:32

www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/qa_vacpregnant.htm

Worriedobsessive Wed 11-Oct-17 14:31:05

Re "not tested in pregnant women" hmm well NOTHING is tested in pregnant women!

Worriedobsessive Wed 11-Oct-17 14:32:24

I always have it. I've had flu, proper flu twice and I thought I was going to die. The thought of it whilst pregnant, and potentially damaging the child with something preventable would be too much to bear.

flobella Wed 11-Oct-17 15:58:34

I have had the flu jab before, when pregnant with my first child and when living at home as a teenager with an immune-compromised parent. Never had a bad reaction.

I have booked a flu jab for this weekend with Boots the Chemist but am now a little worried about this - I have just found out I am pregnant and will be about six weeks pregnant at the time of the vaccination.

Has anyone had an experience of having the jab in the first trimester? I know it sounds silly but I had a miscarriage last year in the first trimester and I am just a bit eager to not want to rock the boat, if you see what I mean! When I had the jab with my first child, I was in the third trimester and didn't give it a moment's thought.

I'm sure it is totally safe but am wondering if I should postpone the jab for a few weeks until (fingers crossed, touch wood etc) I am into the second trimester.

My reason for booking the jab was because I have read that there are some really nasty strains of the flu virus around for this year so thought it would be good to book myself and my husband in for a jab as we both work in schools and are therefore surrounded by germs.

What would you do...?

Lunalovepud Wed 11-Oct-17 16:16:22

Firstly Flo, congratulations!flowers

I'd discuss with your GP or practice nurse but I had a flu shot in week 8 in my first pregnancy so unless guidance has changed it should be fine.
smile

TonicAndTonic Wed 11-Oct-17 16:23:39

I had it a couple of weeks ago at 23 weeks pg - no side effects. My understanding is pregnant women are at risk of getting flu more severely and developing complications which can put the baby at risk. Plus this year's circulating strains are said to be particularly nasty.

TonicAndTonic Wed 11-Oct-17 16:23:45

I had it a couple of weeks ago at 23 weeks pg - no side effects. My understanding is pregnant women are at risk of getting flu more severely and developing complications which can put the baby at risk. Plus this year's circulating strains are said to be particularly nasty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now