Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Really terrible vaccination experience!

(11 Posts)
Notanotherfiremansam Thu 11-May-17 10:44:07

So today my husband took my son for his pre-school vaccinations. The appointment has been rescheduled by the practice three times and today I couldn't take him myself but thought it would be fine... Anyway the nurse did the first injection and my son pulled away and she scratched his arm with the needle. My husband said he was then very upset and struggling so when she did the second one she scratched him again and less then half of the vaccine went in. She said that this was fine and he couldn't have another one just in case some went in. Is this correct? I have come home from work as he was inconsolable (he's under assessment for autism) and his whole arm is bruised and his t-shirt is soaked with blood and vaccination fluid. I'm furious and kicking myself for not being with him. Also worried that he hadn't received enough vaccination (was the mmr one). Shall I complain? Thanks in advance!

RoseAndRose Thu 11-May-17 11:06:53

Was your DH holding him still? TBH it sounds as if he didn't know how to hold him so target limb is still (he would not have been able to pull away, if firmly held).

So I'd be addressing complaints a little closer to home.

honeysucklejasmine Thu 11-May-17 11:09:09

Agree with Rose

Cakescakescakes Thu 11-May-17 11:11:29

Agree your DH should have had his arm clamped in place.

I also have a DS with autism and had to virtually sit on him to get the vaccinations done properly.

Cakescakescakes Thu 11-May-17 11:12:32

Sounds like the nurse was doing her best under the circumstances.

GinnyBaker Thu 11-May-17 11:13:59

Yep, the nurse can't keep the arm still and do the injection at the same time, has to be the parent holding it v still

fruitbrewhaha Thu 11-May-17 11:16:15

On lap, cuddled tight with arms held in place.
Then he couldnt have pulled away.
Did he not have a plaster over the puncture wound?

OhDearToby Thu 11-May-17 11:16:54

Agreeing with everyone else I'm afraid. It's the parents job to keep them still however tricky it may be.

ChocChocPorridge Thu 11-May-17 11:26:27

She said that this was fine and he couldn't have another one just in case some went in

I would probably have a chat with the GP about when he can go in again, and this time you need to hold him tight.

The nurse didn't scratch him, he scratched himself on the needle because he wasn't still - she probably didn't want to try a third time, because she could see that he was already distressed, and didn't have the confidence that your husband would hold him still after he hadn't the first two times.

Slightly surprised they're being done in arms - my kids vaccs have all been done in thighs - I guess because they're a bigger target.

VimFuego101 Thu 11-May-17 11:37:19

Agree, you need to hold him in a bear hug so his arms are clamped down. It's horrible but necessary.

bumbleymummy Fri 12-May-17 12:08:35

If you're worried about him missing the dose you could maybe ask for him to have another mmr in a couple of months. I think they can have another dose as soon as 4 weeks later. Although if this is already his second dose (booster) he may not need it. It's really just to catch the ~10% that aren't immune from the first dose. Maybe chat to your gp and see how you feel about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now