Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Delaying mmr vaccine

(13 Posts)
cuddlebug Thu 23-Feb-17 00:30:00

Hi all. I am delaying the MMR vaccine for my son when he is 1 , just wondering how do I make sure that the nurse definitely doesn't give him the jab?! I definitely don't want him having it until he is older! I have already made up my mind. Thanks x

SocksOn Thu 23-Feb-17 00:39:34

Surely you just don't make an appointment with the nurse?

Can I ask why you're against it at 1?what makes you want to wait?

Whosafraidofabigduckfart Thu 23-Feb-17 00:42:55

Do you think next time you visit she's going to say 'look a flying pig' and stick a needle in him when your head is turned ? 😄

cuddlebug Thu 23-Feb-17 00:46:14

SocksOn I want to wait until his speech is completely developed & established first.

And LOL. grin

TheSnorkMaidenReturns Thu 23-Feb-17 00:55:18

Why do you want to wait for that cuddle bug? Do you harbour residual doubts about the link with autism? This has been completely debunked, and the man that set the ball rolling was struck off as a doctor for his unethical behaviour.

Your child is at more risk health wise from the diseases the MMR protects against the longer you wait.

I'm autistic (too old for MMR), DH autistic (too old for MMR), one child (so far) autistic (absolutely no regression of any sort after MMR).

LuisCarol Thu 23-Feb-17 01:20:47

I want to wait until his speech is completely developed & established first.

Why? At what point would you consider his speech to be completely developed & established, and why is that relevant to preventing diseases such as mumps?

fuckingwall Thu 23-Feb-17 01:25:46

Another vaccine thread? I've seen loads this week.

Eeeek686 Thu 23-Feb-17 01:28:01

I delayed my daughter's.... The nurse asked why, I said I'd rather not discuss thanks, and that was that.... She had it just before 3yrs. Plan to do the same with DS.

nursebickypegs Thu 23-Feb-17 01:37:21

Has there been a vaccine programme on recently? Seen loads of posts on it in the past few days.

I'm a nurse who does imms/vacs in clinics occasionally. This isn't unheard of, we just educate you strongly about the benefits. Being little and getting measles, rubella or mumps can have lasting issues on the child and other babies, esp tiny newborn. The measles virus can lie dormant in your body for several days, meaning your DC could be wandering around with measles and not know, all while touching other babies in public.

We would never go against a parent or guardians consent, but do expect to be bugged about it often when you take DC to the doctors.

I can appreciate you're worried and scared about autism. However, my father had measles at 6 and lost his sight in one eye. I didn't have my MMR as a child, I had rubella and was very poorly for weeks. Please educate yourself with unbiased material which is peer reviewed.

nursebickypegs Thu 23-Feb-17 01:38:31

Btw I didn't have my MMR as my Mum delayed it until school age, there was a valid reason but I can't recall at 140am. I had the jab, and had to have a booster again at 23.

alicedrablow Thu 23-Feb-17 01:52:47

I was similar to you, cuddlebug, and then my five month old son developed meningococcal septicaemia (which was obviously unrelated to whether or not he had had the vaccine). Watching my beautiful baby fight for his life and seeing the excellent care he received in hospital really humbled me and made me realise just how vulnerable he was.

My point is that your DS is at far more risk from bugs and illnesses than he is from any vaccine; get him protected as soon as is recommended!

(He made a full recovery, by the way, and is now a strapping 13 year old!)

shewolfmum Thu 23-Feb-17 22:32:31

Well don't take him for it...thay would ensure he doesn't get it smile

BantyCustards Fri 17-Mar-17 12:09:18

The MMR didn't exist until I was a teenager - and thus is the case for many other individuals... we don't appear to have a sudden population explosion of incoherent children....

Oh, and I'm likely on the spectrum.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now