Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Spacing out vaccines on NHS

(68 Posts)
Muqi Sat 11-Feb-17 09:29:51

Hi guys, I'm not posting about advice on vaccines. I want to space out vaccines for my DS where he will only receive 1 jab at a time every 3 weeks. I have my own complete informed schedule which I have supplied to the NHS however so far they are refusing to follow my schedule. Has anyone had any experience where they have been able to get an alternative schedule done on the NHS? If so how did you get them to follow?

olafisking Sat 11-Feb-17 09:31:09

'Informed' 😂

Heirhelp Sat 11-Feb-17 09:33:09

Can I ask which reasech this is based on? A lot if the vaccines come combined so the physically can't be given separately.

If you want to to your own schedule with many more appointments then you are going to have to pay for it.

Novia Sat 11-Feb-17 09:33:53

Perhaps giving your specific and tailored demands you should go privately. The NHS isn't a bespoke service set up to cater for the whims of people who do their research via Google...

Muqi Sat 11-Feb-17 09:35:21

I am aware of combination vaccines and what is available on the NHS. I have done my own research and that is what this is based on. So far I have found no evidence that I am unable to receive my own schedule for free on the NHS regardless of how many appointments it would take.

gamerchick Sat 11-Feb-17 09:35:49

You're going to have to pay for it if you want seperate jabs.

Bolshybookworm Sat 11-Feb-17 09:36:26

The NHS has incredibly limited resources right now and you're essentially asking for several separate appointments for something that should be done in one. If you require this, I suggest you source a private provider.

Bangkokbaby Sat 11-Feb-17 09:37:21

Plus you will be subjecting your wee one to many more visits with needle pricks, rather than just getting it over and done with. Poor thing!
If you insist on doing it this way at least have the decency to go privately, rather than expecting the NHS to foot the bill for the extra visits.
And reading online is not way to reach an 'informed' decision! I'd rather trust the experts with many years of training and research!

SelfObsessionHoney Sat 11-Feb-17 09:38:31

Because you can't demand of the NHS just as you see fit. I can't demand a full body MRI just because I want one, I would need to pay privately. You want your child to revive immunisations in a manner which deviates from the usual schedule, therefore you should do this privately.

Novia Sat 11-Feb-17 09:39:10

Added to that - some of the doses are deliberately given together. So you're going to subject your baby to mutiple injections, and potentially many more days of feeling unwell...

Spam88 Sat 11-Feb-17 09:39:29

Go private.

Sounds like you're not asking for them to give you separated rather than combined jabs (which they definitely wouldn't) but you are asking for additional appointments which all costs money, and without evidence that it's beneficial in your child's particular circumstances for some reason.

Also I can't help but add that I'm sure the decisions made my the NHS are far more informed than your own given the enormous wealth of peer-reviewed literature and clinical trials available to them and all the people whose jobs it is to review that evidence and make evidence-based decisions.

Muqi Sat 11-Feb-17 09:39:54

As I mention in the OP I am not asking for vaccine advice. Please only post if you have any experience regarding spacing out vaccines, if you have not please kindky post on a different thread

NannyR Sat 11-Feb-17 09:41:21

I've just looked at the nhs vaccination schedule - just looking at the vaccines given up to one year, you would be talking about 28 separate injections. No way would/could the nhs fund that just on a parent's whim. And why would a parent want to put their child through that?

Novia Sat 11-Feb-17 09:41:22

You've had your advice - go private.

pitterpatterrain Sat 11-Feb-17 09:42:19

NHS vaccination schedule is determined by consideration of the research evidence, with meeting minutes and materials online

Google: Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation

What is yours based on?

SelfObsessionHoney Sat 11-Feb-17 09:42:20

The beauty of Internet forums is people can post where they like. And as a lot of people are vehemently trying to protect the NHS in a time where it is under constant stack and mismanagement locally and centrally it is likely you will receive a lot of comments you don't like.
Contact your GP surgery practice manager and ask how much they would charge to conduct your child's immunisations privately or source a private GP.

meditrina Sat 11-Feb-17 09:42:36

Keep asking, it's usually possible to receive one needle-prick.

Drop in clinic run by HV is usually quite a good bet for this.

But what you can't get is different jabs; so when it is a multivalent one you have to have that. If you want that unbundled into one disease per jab, then you will have to go privately.

Bangkokbaby Sat 11-Feb-17 09:45:02

You can't ask for advice, but ask people not to post things that you don't want to hear. Your decision to space out vaccines is not supported by credible peer reviewed evidence.
The NHS should not have to fund your google research!
I'm heartened to see so many sensible replies here!

Muqi Sat 11-Feb-17 09:45:45

No, I am asking for exactly the same vaccinations the NHS provides. It would not be anymore. It is actually a total of 9 injections. There is no extra cost in ordering vaccines it would be exactly the same. The only "extra" is the GP giving me more appointments.

Bangkokbaby Sat 11-Feb-17 09:46:43

Which costs money! Do you think gps give their time for free?

Mungobungo Sat 11-Feb-17 09:47:43

OP you're not going to get responses for people who have done this on the NHS because it's not available. The NHS is on its knees trying to provide the very basics, including a robust immunisation programme. There isn't the resource to provide several appointments (paying staff and reducing appointments for others), nor is there resource to source individual variants of the combined vaccines. If you want this kind of treatment, please feel free to pay privately.
The NHS has robbed be cost effective system in which everyone is entitled to the same, not an a la carte healthcare menu where individuals decide what they want based on their own 'informed' decisions.

Your choice is to take what's offered or pay privately.

Mungobungo Sat 11-Feb-17 09:48:46

Has to be cost effective even.

Sixisthemagicnumber Sat 11-Feb-17 09:49:07

I spaced out the 12 month round as it was a lot to have in one go. We didn't have the MMR at the same time as the others. Some of the 12 month vaccines are live and the MMR is quite strong too and I didn't want them all going into my babies body at once. It's my Child and I am free To make that decision.
It wasn't a case of wanting single vaccines just a case of not giving him the three combined vaccines all at once.

EdithWeston Sat 11-Feb-17 09:49:24

You are at a practice where the GP does jabs? That's unusual, it's usually a nurse.

Try to see if there's a nurse:HV-led drop-in you can attend (at your practice or any nearby one) because it'll be easier in the no-appointment sessions.

Bangkokbaby Sat 11-Feb-17 09:49:51

A quick google shows prices of between £25 and £85 for a private appointment. Times 6 for the extra visits? Just to give you an idea of what it could cost the NHS.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now