Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Meningitis B vaccine reaction in 4mo

(10 Posts)
AfroPunk Fri 27-Jan-17 21:48:41

My 4mo baby experienced a reaction to his Men B vaccine. He vomited and had diahorrhea for almost one week after having it at 8wo; he vomited for almost a week after having it at 16w, as well as being more sleepy, losing his appetite and becoming dehydrated as a result (drier nappies, sunken fontanelle and no poo for 5 days).

He is fully vaccinated up to this point, but obviously I am aware that he should have boosters at around 13mo. Is he likely to react in this way again? How necessary are booster vaccines? I feel very conflicted about it at the moment as I am usually 100% in favour of vaccination, but this have thrown me a curve ball. I would appreciate your views and advice.

Oly5 Fri 27-Jan-17 21:58:34

Firstly, well done on having your baby vaccinated against men B (and other diseases through vaccination!). I should imagine he has some good immunity from the two doses but they do recommend a booster. I can't find the research from GlaxoSmithKlone on how effective it is after two doses. If call either Glaxo or Meningitis Now (the charity) and they will be able to get you the information. If he's got brilliant immunity from two doses then you can decide if the booster is worth it. Good luck

anotherdayanothersquabble Sat 28-Jan-17 20:45:58

Get hold of the vaccine insert (not just the patient information leaflet). Usually easy to find on line but pharmacies and the GP should have them.

Most vaccines are contra indicated in sse of previous reactions.

Record the previous reactions via the Yellow Card and speak to your GP about the reactions.

AfroPunk Tue 31-Jan-17 09:36:49

Thank-you both. It was a hard week last week as my baby also has severe GERD. I guess this might have played its part in why he was so sick. I will speak with our GP. Thank-you again.

shewolfmum Tue 31-Jan-17 23:58:58

GPs aren't always that informed on vaccine safety. Some don't even know the ingredients or possible side effects. Research yourself?

CheeseFlavouredDiscs Wed 01-Feb-17 00:16:22

OP, is it possible that your DS was unfortunate enough to get ill just after his vaccination? His immune system may have been a bit weaker due to dealing with the vaccine and making antibodies for that.

True reactions to vaccines aren't like this (and are also incredibly rare) but it is common for babies to get other illnesses after immunisation due to opportunistic viruses/bacteria taking advantage of the slightly weakened immune system in the immediate period after immunisation.

Please think carefully about thos before you decide whether or not to continuing immunising your child. Which is worse - a few days illness (whicb is very unpleasant at the time) or the potentially awful effects of getting one the the many serious diseases that can be prevented by vaccination?

LoveDeathPrizes Wed 01-Feb-17 00:26:20

The 1 year jabs aren't boosters - they cover different diseases so your little one will need them for immunity to MMR.

Men B is a tricky vaccine. We had stronger reactions with that than MMR at 13 months so you might find it's completely different.

LoveDeathPrizes Wed 01-Feb-17 00:29:41

Sorry - I'm wrong. I didn't realise that Men B was also given at 12 months. My older DD had it and it was only 2 doses.

EstelleRoberts Wed 01-Feb-17 00:31:45

I see your DS has GERD (you both have my sympathies!). Has he been investigated for food allergies and intolerances?

Reason I ask is my DD had awful reflux, and was diagnosed with CMPI at 10 weeks. Weaning has revealed many other intolerances, which manifest in much increased reflux (vomiting through day and night for a fortnight with some foods). At 18 months her reflux is much reduced, but it reoccurs when she eats something she is intolerant to, when she has a bug, and also after vaccinations (increased reflux for over a month following her 12 month jabs).

We have been advised by the Allergy Clinic not to introduce new foods when she is ill or has had vaccinations, as the immune system is primed then and more likely to see foods as a threat.

Your DS's symptoms increasing after vaccinations make me suspicious he has at least one undiagnosed food intolerance. If you can cut this out of his diet (by an elimination diet followed by you if you are breastfeeding, or hypo-allergenic formula if he is bottle-fed), you may find the GERD reduces dramatically, or is even eliminated. It might be worth raising the possibility with your GP?

LoveDeathPrizes Wed 01-Feb-17 00:36:42

Do you breastfeed? My milk changes every month with what used to be my premenstral hormones and for that time my baby has awful reflux. I attributed it to the jabs until I realised that they're all a month apart.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now