Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Declining 8 week injections

(96 Posts)
user1484580841 Wed 25-Jan-17 13:36:24

Hi, has anyone declined the 5-1 jab at 8 week baby jabs? My daughter is due hers and after extensive research my partner and myself are not happy to let her have this so early on in her life and we have been looking into having them separately but are having difficulty sourcing these privately. Any help or info would be appreciated. Thanks smile

strawberrypenguin Wed 25-Jan-17 13:39:39

Why are you unhappy for her to have them? IMO keeping our children safe from preventable and sometimes lethal diseases by vaccinating them is important

Devilishpyjamas Wed 25-Jan-17 13:40:55

Yes -my younger two haven't had any.

You will probably be asked why - and although you don't have to give your reasons I have always given mine. I have never had any problems & when I have explained my reasons the doctors/HCP's have either agreed quietly/head their hand up half way through the explanation or very occasionally said they would have made the same decision in my shoes.

It gets easier and you will find a surprising number are very supportive. The only person who ever gave me hassle was some sort of student doctor.

Devilishpyjamas Wed 25-Jan-17 13:41:42

Held their hand up (meaning they didn't need further explanation).

BertrandRussell Wed 25-Jan-17 13:41:52

By extensive research do you mean you are medically qualified to a high level and have read and understood all the technical papers written on this subject? Or conducted your own studies?

PotteringAlong Wed 25-Jan-17 13:42:06

Nope. I prefer my children protected from fatal diseases.

TheMasterNotMargarita Wed 25-Jan-17 13:42:57

What PotteringAlong said.

ninenicknames Wed 25-Jan-17 13:43:26

Nope. I prefer my children protected from fatal diseases also.

NicolaMarlowsMerlin Wed 25-Jan-17 13:43:46

All the concern about vaccines has been shown to be baseless (not just the autism link but also concernsa bout thimerosol, 'overloading' the immune system). Get your baby properly vaccinated at the scheduled times and help her and those around you by doing so.

dontpokethebear Wed 25-Jan-17 13:43:50

Please just do it.

NickyEds Wed 25-Jan-17 13:44:07

No. I didn't want my children to get tetanus or whooping cough. Have any of your other children had a life threatening reaction to a vaccine? What is the research?

Deadsouls Wed 25-Jan-17 13:44:30

I think my DD had the 5 in 1 but later. Didn't do them separately.

NicolaMarlowsMerlin Wed 25-Jan-17 13:46:26

See this link for a very succinct debunking of all the drama

fusion.net/story/43976/vaccines-work-here-are-the-facts/

Devilishpyjamas Wed 25-Jan-17 13:47:01

You're going to get slaughtered here OP. If you refuse it really is no problem as far as doing so goes. In 15 years I've never had any grief.

If you want to discuss it further feel feel free to PM.

dontpokethebear Wed 25-Jan-17 13:47:21

There is NOTHING of any accurate source that proves vaccinations are dangerous.
Please, please, please read this. It is quite long, but it is such a brilliant break down and explanation of how and why vaccines work.

thenib.com/vaccines-work-here-are-the-facts-5de3d0f9ffd0

Berthatydfil Wed 25-Jan-17 13:47:36

No I prefer living children

Deadsouls Wed 25-Jan-17 13:49:00

Maybe it might be better for you to post this on an anti-van forum. I don't think you're going to get help or advice here.

Deadsouls Wed 25-Jan-17 13:49:14

Anti-vax

BertrandRussell Wed 25-Jan-17 13:49:33

"You're going to get slaughtered here OP."

Well, if being told that she is demonstrably wrong is "being slaughtered".........

kel12345 Wed 25-Jan-17 13:49:36

I would never dream of not vaccinating my child. Not sure why someone would?

mistlethrush Wed 25-Jan-17 13:51:17

All the people that say 'you don't need vaccinations - look my child never had them and is fine' are lucky that most people have had them done as it means that the incidents of the diseases they protect against are few and far between. However, there are pockets of people with low take up of the vaccinations, and this means these dangerous diseases can become problematical in some areas now - more so than in the last 20 years. So if you refuse them, you'd better hope you're in a small minority and benefit from general vaccination rates.

Sidge Wed 25-Jan-17 13:51:57

You'd be unlikely to source separate vaccines, certainly in the UK. I'm not aware of any reliable supply of single tetanus, inactivated polio, pertussis, Hib meningitis or diphtheria.

I also find it hard to understand why you would want single vaccines to be honest - why give 15 injections when you can give 3?

They are scheduled from 8 weeks for specific immunological reasons, it's not just arbitrary. Babies of 8 weeks can 'cope' with 5 in 1 vaccines.

Of course as a parent you can just not take your baby for her vaccines; there would probably be some follow up from the HV and/or practice nurse to ask why so be prepared for that.

savagehk Wed 25-Jan-17 13:52:16

OP is considering separate vaccines, not solely not vaccinating.

Devilishpyjamas Wed 25-Jan-17 13:52:25

The arrogance of knowing she is 'wrong' without knowing anything about her family history or reasons.

FWIW OP the reaction you'all get from medics will be nothing like this.

MrsGB2015 Wed 25-Jan-17 13:53:32

I don't understand why you wouldn't vaccinate your child?! What if they got seriously sick or worse and you knew you could have prevented it with a vaccination but didnt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now