Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

URGENT - chicken pox vaccine

(10 Posts)
Disforduster Tue 24-Jan-17 11:57:02

Hi,

Begging for urgent information. My local clinic receptionist didn't seem to know, hoping there's somebody here who might. Is the chicken pox vaccine effective after a child has been exposed to it? My children were exposed yesterday potentially at nursery - a child was diagnosed this morning. They hadn't seen that child for several days before yesterday. Is it worth getting them vaccinated today or maybe tomorrow? Will it do any good?

Disforduster Tue 24-Jan-17 11:57:35

PS - Thank you!

AssassinatedBeauty Tue 24-Jan-17 12:00:43

Apparently it can reduce the severity if it doesn't stop them catching it. What's the reason for wanting to vaccinate them now?

PotteringAlong Tue 24-Jan-17 12:01:13

It's a live vaccine so probably not I wouldn't have thought.

Lindy2 Tue 24-Jan-17 12:03:48

If you Google "chicken pox vaccine after exposure" several medical sites say vaccine after exposure can prevent or reduce symptoms if given within 3-5 days of exposure.
I can't vouch for the accuracy of the sites but it does seem to appear on several.

Azulejo9 Tue 24-Jan-17 12:05:53

Even when you vaccinate against chicken pox you are advised they may still get it. There is no way of knowing that your child was exposed to it during an incubation period in another child's case. You can still vaccinate, it's a two step vaccination given in two doses.
As they've been exposed to it already though the chances are higher for them to get chicken pox.

TinyTumble Tue 24-Jan-17 12:17:00

Just my experience, for context, 20 months ago. DS1 and 2 both at nursery, DS1 in preschool room, DS2 in toddler room. DS1 exposed with a case in preschool room, query over extent of DS2 exposure. I was 38 weeks pg with DC3, scheduled csection for 14 days later. Had both vaccinated within 48 hours.

DS1 came out with CP regardless of the vaccine exactly 13 days later (& 24 hours prior to me having the baby confused). DS2 had nothing and received his booster 1 month later as planned. I'm afraid I wouldn't say that DS1 had a less severe case due to the vaccine, it wasn't worse but it was definitely not mild and he was pretty miserable. Obviously we never bothered with a booster! But on the upside DS2 didn't get it at all and still hasn't, and neither did newly born DD1.

alouiseb Sat 25-Feb-17 09:23:09

My 6 year old is having her first chicken pox vaccination at 10:15 and usually has a swimming lesson at 1pm on a Saturday. So you think it is ok for her to go swimming?

AuntieStella Sat 25-Feb-17 09:27:16

Yes, it's fine to swim after an injected immunisation, provided she is feeling well.

alouiseb Sat 25-Feb-17 10:52:13

Thank you for your reassurance. I agree with your thinking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now