Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

To vaccinate or not to vaccinate?

(160 Posts)
user1480775842 Thu 15-Dec-16 16:15:54

Please help me... my baby is 4 months old and is amazing and healthy etc. My fiancé and all his family are against vaccinations and think they are very bad and cause lots of health issues.
My family and everyone else I know... are for it and say of course my child should have them.
I don't want to put my child at risk either way I am so unsure of what to do here.

Bardolino Thu 15-Dec-16 16:21:58

Vaccinate. Your fiance and his family are all idiots. Hope that helps.grin

Seriously though, unless there is a known medical reason for not vaccinating, you would be putting your child, and others, at risk if you don't complete the vaccination schedule.

queenc81 Thu 15-Dec-16 16:23:00

Agree with pp. vaccinate, don't put your child at risk of serious illness because of idiots. grin

JeepersMcoy Thu 15-Dec-16 16:24:06

Vaccinate. No question.

Getting measles, mumps, rubella, polio or any of the other life threatening illnesses you get vaccines for is somewhat more serious then the tiny and in many cases shown to be completely false risks anti-vaccinators talk about.

Not only would you be putting your own child at serious risk not vaccinating them you are also putting at risk people who have immune disorders as if not enough of the population vaccinate they will not have the protection of herd immunity and are even more likely to die from an illness that shouldn't even exist any more.

It is irresponsible and selfish. Not vaccinating is one of the few parental decisions I just have no sympathy with.

Sirzy Thu 15-Dec-16 16:24:34

Ask him to provide peer reviewed evidence of how bad they are.

The risks from not vaccinating massively outweigh the risk of vaccinating. (Unless there are other known medical complications of course in which case discuss with the medical team)

Wonderflonium Thu 15-Dec-16 16:24:53

Your fiancé and his family are wrong.

Vaccinate your child.

Soubriquet Thu 15-Dec-16 16:26:06

Always vaccinate unless health experts say no

krustykittens Thu 15-Dec-16 16:26:13

Vaccinate.

SVJAA Thu 15-Dec-16 16:27:21

Vaccinate, no question. The problem with the anti-vaxxer movement as a whole, is that it's scaremongering on a spectacular scale, which is actually really dangerous. All our kids are vaccinated, because they need to be for their own safety. There's a lot to be said for herd immunity too.

PoldarksBreeches Thu 15-Dec-16 16:28:16

Why would you not?

SallyInSweden Thu 15-Dec-16 16:32:04

Vaccinate.

I would also advise, to use this as an opportunity to set a boundary. Tell them that Yes she will be vaccinated, and No they are wrong, and that Yes you are shocked they would leave a baby at risk when they know the truth.
Vaccines save lives

LiefieLiefie Thu 15-Dec-16 16:33:23

A family friend's baby died at four weeks old of whooping cough after other parents selfishly refused to vaccinate.

Please vaccinate. It isn't only your child that can be affected by your decision.

winterinmadeira Thu 15-Dec-16 16:34:44

Vaccinate. Definitely.

EagleIsland Thu 15-Dec-16 16:37:05

Vaccinate, I had mumps as a baby before I was vaccinated. As a result I am deaf in one ear.

Smitff Thu 15-Dec-16 16:38:44

Do your own research on what happens to children who get polio, measles, mumps, hep b, pneumonia, tb etc (and whatever else the nhs vaccinates against, it's different where I live).

Then, be a parent to your child and stand up for him/her. You have a lifetime of making choices for him/her ahead of you, and being responsible and accountable for them. Vaccinations and health in general is the single biggest one. Get used to it.

While you're at it, please do some research on children with suppressed immune systems and the impact of non-vaccinated children on them. Then tell your DH's family to stop being so fucking selfish.

MistressMolecules Thu 15-Dec-16 16:39:22

No question, you need to vaccinate. Herd immunity helps those that can't be vaccinated for health reasons.

specialsubject Thu 15-Dec-16 16:39:26

nothing is totally safe - but unless your baby has a particular health issue which a MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL says makes vaccination too high risk, it is far, far safer to vaccinate it.

do your family know why there is no smallpox? Do they know why there could be no polio?

Badcat666 Thu 15-Dec-16 16:40:01

I'll just leave this here

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDjz5qHIzsc

specialsubject Thu 15-Dec-16 16:40:17

BTW are all these people vaccinated themselves?

iamadaftcoo Thu 15-Dec-16 16:42:08

Take it your fiancé wouldn't mind if she died from a wholly preventable disease then.

I think it's neglect not to vaccinate. It should be the law.

T00ManyB00ks Thu 15-Dec-16 16:43:24

Do it. As an adult who wasn't vaccinated as a baby, do it. Caused me no end of problems. Got my MMR aged 18. Do it.

mamatiger2016 Thu 15-Dec-16 16:44:02

Your OH's family are selfish.

Please vaccinate your child, those who don't vaccinate are putting others at risk and you would feel horrendous if your baby came down with any of the illnesses they protect you from.

Healthy or not, wouldn't you rather know your child was safe from some horrible illness rather than take a couple of days of grizzling following their jabs

Pooka Thu 15-Dec-16 16:46:08

youtu.be/RfdZTZQvuCo

Ruder but also educational.

Vaccinate.

Purplebluebird Thu 15-Dec-16 17:56:38

Definitely vaccinate. The alternative is so much worse, and also puts those with poor immune system more at risk (such as children with cancer for example).

sotiredbutworthit Thu 15-Dec-16 17:59:53

Vaccinate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now