Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

We said no to the Nasal flu spray, but it was given anyway

(101 Posts)
Stevecam Fri 11-Nov-16 07:40:43

Hi. We found out today that after giving the flu Nasal spray permission form with no selected, our daughter was STILL given it. We are going to speak to the headteacher this morning to confirm what happened and if our daughter was given the vaccine against our expressed permission.

Has anyone else been in this position before? This isn't a discussion about whether children should have the vaccine or not, that is down to everyone's personal opinion about the matter, but if it has been given without permission, it's a pretty serious issue we think.

wowbutter Fri 11-Nov-16 07:42:33

Mistakes happen, don't they?
And she should be having it anyway, so, get over it.

I can't bring myself to get angry about it.

Stevecam Fri 11-Nov-16 07:46:46

I did ask for it to not be about yes or no opinions to the vaccine. Loads in our group said no to having it have it. For anything, if you get a letter asking permission and then

Tutu1000 Fri 11-Nov-16 07:46:58

I would be fuming about this. I was unsure whether to give my child the vaccine last year because of his own previous health problems and concern over the vaccine. I did eventually agree to him having it, but I would have been furious (not to mention very upset) if he had been given it once I decided I didn't want him to have it.

Realistically I think the only thing you can do now is speak to the head to find out why your daughter was given it, and then put in complaints to the relevant people and demand they change whatever procedure they have in place as obviously it isn't working.

Stevecam Fri 11-Nov-16 07:47:17

... gosh this forum. I will try again

Stevecam Fri 11-Nov-16 07:49:23

I did ask for it to not be about yes or no opinions to the vaccine. Loads in our group said no to having it . For anything, if you get a letter asking permission and then they go against your decision, by accident or on purpose, it is still a serious issue.

We will certainly look into their procedure .

Theaspizzashop Fri 11-Nov-16 07:50:29

no this has been mismanaged by the school and is unprofessional. no point in asking parents to give permission if they do it anyway. I'd clear this up with the head calmly and professionally.
On the other hand your dc is very lucky to have been vaccinated at no cost to you. You are being ur not letting her have the vaccination in the first place. Nevertheless the school or the nurse made a mistake and that is simply unprofessional.

Moreisnnogedag Fri 11-Nov-16 07:52:25

Actually whatever my own personal opinion about the vaccine that's definitely not right! What if a child was given an egg containing vaccine but had an allergy? It's a serious untoward incident and requires investigation. The procedures 100% need reviewing.

Lules Fri 11-Nov-16 07:54:17

It wouldn't cross my mind not to have it but I'd be extremely angry if this happened without my permission. That just shouldn't happen, unless it's a situation like some states in the US there's been a decision to have mandatory vaccinations and everyone knows this.

threelittlerapscallions Fri 11-Nov-16 07:56:17

This is why I will be keeping my daughter off school on vaccine day even though I have said no. The school are lovely but mistakes happen. I have 2 relatives and a couple of friends who fell ill after this vaccine.

titchy Fri 11-Nov-16 07:59:06

Wow that's awful. Was there a nurse administering the spray? In which case your absolutely need to complain loudly to the trust.

I'm assuming your child is primary age? You need to go through the schools complaints procedure as well.

SuburbanRhonda Fri 11-Nov-16 08:00:16

I doubt the school were directly involved in the management of the administration of the vaccination as they are not medically qualified. They normally provide the venue as it saves the NHS money.

dementedpixie Fri 11-Nov-16 08:00:28

No they shouldn't have given it if you said no...BUT why were loads of you refusing it in the first place?

Badders123 Fri 11-Nov-16 08:00:57

My own pro vaccination feelings aside -
This is a shocking breach of safety protocol
I would be livid

RunningHurts Fri 11-Nov-16 08:02:25

Three little When you say the people you knew fell ill, what do you mean? What sort of I'll?

ThoraGruntwhistle Fri 11-Nov-16 08:03:05

Regardless of what you think about vaccinations or this one in particular, (personally I would accept it if offered to my DC) etc... If you've refused permission for something to happen at school and they do it anyway, that's pretty awful. What is the point of sending home a consent form if it's going to be ignored?

Diamogs Fri 11-Nov-16 08:04:17

I'm pro-vax but would have a real issue with the lack of adequate record keeping / procedure following.

Even if your DC just joined the queue cos her friend did they should have been double checking the child's name against records / permission slips etc.

kimlo Fri 11-Nov-16 08:05:16

I didn't give permission because dd2 couldn't have it because she has previously reacted to it and has had reactions to other jabs. I think that with out knowing why permission wasn't given the no one can judge.

Dd2 was kept in a diffrent room and didn't go anywhere near the nurses, and they wouldn't have given it without seeing the signed paper work. Both the school and the nursing team have failed, the consequences could have been massive.

Diamogs Fri 11-Nov-16 08:05:53

Actually thinking about it more, how old is your DC? Are they reliable in what they have said?

Could it be that their BF lined up so they wanted to do the same and actually consented to it?

Or told you they had it cos everyone else did?

MintChocChips Fri 11-Nov-16 08:06:14

I'd be really angry. My DS doesn't have it as he had a severe allergic reaction to it the first time he had it. He ended up off school for a fortnight.

People can have valid reasons for not having it.

WanderingTrolley1 Fri 11-Nov-16 08:08:40

Not on. I'd be raging.

EllebellyBeeblebrox Fri 11-Nov-16 08:09:10

I doubt it was anything to do with the school. I'm a school nurse and have been involved in delivering and coordinating the vaccines. Unfortunately mistakes can happen when staff are pressured and busy, and it is a huge undertaking to deliver the flu program. I would speak to the school nursing team/imms team who gave the vaccine, to ensure that they are aware and allow them to rectify any procedural problems and take any further action they need to.
I know it's not the point, but it has a very good safety profile, has very very few side effects and is given for the benefit of the child, their family and the wider community as a whole.

lightsandresistance Fri 11-Nov-16 08:11:24

Actually I think it is very serious that they gave it with permission withdrawn.

It could be a parent has said no because they knew that the child had had an allergic reaction to a vaccine ingredient or because it poses a risk to existing health problems.

I don't think he should just 'get over it' at all 😲

bastedyoungturkey Fri 11-Nov-16 08:11:41

I don't know how the vaccinations are being managed in every school, but at the one I work in the Nhs have brought in sealed envelopes to hand out to the children involved. I assume they have the permission forms inside, as I've been handed a few back again, but in sealed envelopes so as a class teacher I have no clue whether the parents have given permission or not.

I think that what's happening is the Nhs staff are coming in to give the vaccinations, and school staff know very little about it other than that. In fact the head had a conversation with me the other day because he didn't know it was happening at all.

Op, go into school and ask the question by all means, but other than being where the vaccinations take place, don't assume that the school know much else about it beyond that.

Alrhough, as I've been typing all that I've been thinking that ultimately you're leaving your children in the care of the school - so this system does seem a little flawed. Schools do need to know who's opted to have or not have the vaccine. Ours are next week and I haven't got a clue, so maybe I need to go and find out.

PinkSwimGoggles Fri 11-Nov-16 08:12:21

no yanbu to be angry
you made your decision not to vaccinate this time and that should be respected. with any medicine there is a risk and there might have have been very good (health) reasons not to give it.

I am pro-vaccination but still read up on offered or available vaccines and then decide if I or my dc should have that vaccine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now