Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

MMR again, looking for someone to clarify

(15 Posts)
havalina1 Thu 03-Nov-16 12:09:42

My ds got it a few days ago.

The nurse though had freaked me out. I didn't research it all because I did all that 18 months ago when my daughter was getting her vacs and I decided I'd go ahead with the typical course. In my head I've put my concerns to bed generally speaking.

When I asked what it was he was getting and what were the risks and the aftercare she (looked a bit shocked) and said I could have phoned any time beforehand and asked to speak to a nurse and discuss it. I felt like... well I'm asking now? She just told me to read he NHS website and didn't tell me anything. I went ahead anyway but I wasn't reassured. I'm paranoid about my son as he had sepsis at 9 weeks, RSV and hospitalised at 14 weeks.. just been unlucky but always come out fine.

He got three MMR and three boosters just three days ago. Four jabs in total and he's doing fine.

I guess I'm looking for assurance that this vaccine is very safe and not to have to look for untoward reactions. I know to watch for a mild rash at the 12 day mark and re general aftercare (the site of injection is sore and solid like a lump but he's not in any pain).

Thanks and sorry for waffle.

shewolfmum Thu 03-Nov-16 23:28:18

Safe? look up the patient information leaflets on each vax (available online) and decide for yourself.

havalina1 Fri 04-Nov-16 13:28:46

Yes I've done that.

I didn't really find your reply useful, sorry.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Fri 04-Nov-16 13:30:29

When you say safe, just to clarify, you're not asking about the debunked autism theory, but about potential effects from the jab in the immediate time after an injection had been given?

havalina1 Fri 04-Nov-16 16:15:50

Exactly - not asking about the autism thing - I was more fretting about severe reactions and subtle things to look for.

He had just recovered from a bad dose of HFM and in the middle of that he had anaphylaxis from peanut butter which was terrifying .... that was two weeks ago.

I've looked up the CDC site and read up on it. He's not had a reaction so far.

I suppose I just wanted some reassurance in as much as anyone can generally say "listen it's grand".

Arfarfanarf Fri 04-Nov-16 16:20:33

It is safe. It's as safe as it can be.

The vast majority of children are absolutely fine, with nothing more than a bit of a temperature and the grumps.

A tiny percentage have problems but it is tiny and not something that you should worry about, just be aware that you need to keep an eye and that you can take him to a gp if needs be.

It is fine, honestly it is. It's never nice to have your child jabbed and it triggers all sorts of irrational mum feelings grin been there, done that, fought the urge to strangle the nurse with the t-shirt wink

but truly, all will be well x thanks it'll be fine.

havalina1 Fri 04-Nov-16 21:22:05

Arfarfanarf
Many thanks I appreciate that! I'll be glad when the fever window passes after two weeks.

Many thanks for the reassurance smile I don't know why I'm fretting so much his time round!

shewolfmum Sat 05-Nov-16 14:47:10

Sorry it wasn't helpful. It is a difficult question. Ask anyone with a vaccine damaged child if they think they are safe. That is why i pointed to to the diseases themselves and the pils's as anything else is simple other people's opinions.

VintagePerfumista Sat 05-Nov-16 14:53:57

Yes, ask anyone with a vaccine damaged child.

You'll be a while looking of course. What with them being so incredibly rare,

EleanorRigby123 Sat 05-Nov-16 14:57:49

No vaccine is 100% safe. A very small number of children will die/be damaged by vaccines.

But a far greater number will die/be damaged by the diseases themselves if they are not vaccinated against them.

WinchesterWoman Sun 06-Nov-16 14:33:16

You can't take it out now and he'll probably be finesmile

cuddlebug Thu 23-Feb-17 00:34:48

All vaccines have risk. My son is not having MMR

Whosafraidofabigduckfart Thu 23-Feb-17 00:38:59

Are you expecting all our children Cuddlebug to offer your children herd immunity ? Perhaps you'd rather chance measles than the vaccine - this is what you are risking as more parents read and the believe all kinds of anti - vaccine shit on the internet.

Berthatydfil Thu 23-Feb-17 00:43:40

Actual measles is a killer and most people my age 50s know people who caught measles and I personally know one person with permanently damaged eyesight from it. I don't know anyone damaged by vaccines.

Whosafraidofabigduckfart Thu 23-Feb-17 00:48:14

My cousin suffered brain damage and cannot live independently. He's in his 40's.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now