Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Flu vaccine spray. How are the kids that have had it?

(30 Posts)
caroline29woohooo Thu 27-Oct-16 12:04:38

Just wondering how the kids are doing who have had this spray? Any side effects so far? X

noblegiraffe Thu 27-Oct-16 12:06:10

DS had it a couple of weeks ago. No issues at all.

Haggisfish Thu 27-Oct-16 12:10:37

Fine-no effects at all, not even a temp.

WhatYouTalkinBout Thu 27-Oct-16 13:50:04

Ds1(4) and ds2(2) had it on Friday. Ds1 was fine no side effects but ds2 got a rash and wasn't himself but that's worn off now

Clickclickclick Thu 27-Oct-16 13:51:09

No issues at all.

OhFuds Thu 27-Oct-16 13:54:40

Can I ask how your children react to having the nasel spray? Did it bother them having it?

My 2 (age 2 and 4) are having it next week and if one child starts crying then there is a good chance the next child will refuse, so I'm slightly dreading it.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 27-Oct-16 14:01:43

Ds is 15,bit tired the next day but that's all.

WhatwouldRuthdo Thu 27-Oct-16 14:07:04

Absolutely fine. DS (2.11) was ok having it and no ill affects at all. I bribed him with a biscuit to sit still though..

Flylittlebirdpdq Thu 27-Oct-16 14:10:59

Mine have been having it for years as were in a pilot area.

No symptoms/side effects no nothing at all. Total non event

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Thu 27-Oct-16 14:12:24

All 3 of mine have been fine, they had it about a week and a half ago.

Haggisfish Thu 27-Oct-16 15:06:31

Didn't bother them in the slightest. It's a little tickle. I don't know that ds even realised!!

hazeyjane Thu 27-Oct-16 15:12:57

Ds was horrendous about having it, but he has sensory issues, so freaks out about anything like this. Dd2 was fine, and said it must felt like having a runny nose.

She has had some side effects, a rash, headache, runny nose, aching limbs, and wheezing (she is asthmatic) so I am taking her to the Drs this afternoon.

Fourormore Thu 27-Oct-16 15:13:55

DC 2 years had it. No issues whatsoever.

PinkSwimGoggles Thu 27-Oct-16 15:17:51

totally fine.
I explained beforehand what's going to happen so they weren't surprised. small treat afterwards.

paddypants13 Thu 27-Oct-16 15:19:37

Dd had it yesterday and was fine whilst it was being done and is fine today. It's probably too early for any side effects though!

She had it last year as well and was absolutely fine.

Soubriquet Thu 27-Oct-16 15:24:29

Dd had it at the same time as her MMR booster and her DTP booster.

No reaction at all. She was a bit sniffy the next day but that was it.

d270r0 Thu 27-Oct-16 15:26:42

My 5 year old and 2 year had it 2 days ago. No side effects whatsoever, and it didn't hurt at all.
5 year old had it first, giggled a bit. 2 year old remembered his jabs he had recently and started having a paddy as he didn't want it, I had to hold him down and he yelled but it didn't hurt him, he just didn't want it. I gave him a lolly and he was ok soon after.

MigGril Thu 27-Oct-16 15:39:43

My five year old asmatic son had it at the weekend. 3rd year in a row for him, he's been fine just a little sniffaly. He thinks it's thickly, I'd say to your older one that it will tickle and feel funny up his nose, may even taste funny. Take a treat he's likely to react better then the younger one as you can explain it a bit better.

shewolfmum Mon 31-Oct-16 22:37:21

I thought it was contraindicated for asthmatic children? They should have jab instead in the patient info leaflet?

shewolfmum Mon 31-Oct-16 22:39:25

Severe asthma or active wheezing

hazeyjane Tue 01-Nov-16 12:21:46

all our dc's are asthmatic - ds, severely. His chest paed said he should have the spray, and asthma nurse at surgery recommended for dds.

TheClacksAreDown Tue 01-Nov-16 12:23:19

DS1 had it then age 4 and was fine. Didn't moan at the time and fine afterwards.

BrokeBeforeXmas Tue 01-Nov-16 22:06:36

Thank goodness for this thread! I have chronic asthma and my DD has had it every year and been fine. I was unsure this time as ALL the parents seem to be objecting to having it thanks to this weird website....

Shurelyshomemistake Tue 01-Nov-16 22:13:56

Broke, that must be a hard conversation to have with those parents..!

DS had his, he was totally fine. No side effects despite the, ahem, scary 'messed-up microbe' and the 'monosodium glutamate'.

None from my flu jab either, apart from a bit of an achy arm - good excuse not to go to the gym for a few days ;)

TooTweeOrNotTooTwee Tue 01-Nov-16 22:15:03

Could I ask those with two year olds whether they went private for the flu vaccine?

My four year old has been offered one by our GP surgery but my two year old has not..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now