Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Bad experience with Men B Vaccine - anyone else?

(11 Posts)
GlummyMummy Fri 14-Oct-16 19:40:57

My toddler had the second part of her Men B vaccine today. First part two months ago was fine, no side effects at all. Today however, the girl administering the jab seemed very nervous and when my daughter jerked away as the needle went in, she pulled the needle out and ended up having another two attempts before she actually put the liquid in!! So she has had her arm jabbed in three places and is really suffering with the pain of it!! Can't understand why the girl didn't just ram it in and get it over with. She said she'd wait till she sat still, but what toddler would, given the circumstances!!!

Anyone else had this happen and if so, how did you deal with it? Think my daughter is going to be terrified for the next injections aged three!

CurtainsforRonnie Fri 14-Oct-16 19:45:51

Oh no. DD had jabs recently.

Nurses orders - DD had to stand up & face me. I was sitting in a chair facing her. I think, I had to sort of cuddle her. Anyway she couldnt wriggle & the nurse was so quick.

I hope your DD is ok sad

Was it at a Boots? Im looking at getting it done for DD.

AveEldon Fri 14-Oct-16 19:48:39

Did she not tell you to hold your child firmly as still as possible?

GraceGrape Fri 14-Oct-16 19:49:37

My Dds both had it. The vaccine was administered without any problems but they both had very sore arms afterwards for several days, to the point that they were waking in the night. I alternated Ibuprofen and Calpol which seemed to help.

GlummyMummy Fri 14-Oct-16 19:51:28

Yes it was Boots. We were wracked with indecision about whether she should have it and now I really feel we've done the wrong thing. :-(

She was very wriggly but I'd have thought the girl should have just kept going first time she got the needle in. I mean, wriggly toddlers must be par for the course.

The pain and dead arm after one jab would be bad enough, never mind three jabs!

GlummyMummy Fri 14-Oct-16 19:59:58

She didn't really say about holding her still and my daughter is pretty strong, but I still don't see why once she had the needle in, she didn't just carry on?!?

CurtainsforRonnie Fri 14-Oct-16 20:12:05

DD actually had 2 jabs at the surgery, one in each arm, & couldnt move an inch due to the nurses instructions & she was so so quick.

GlummyMummy Mon 17-Oct-16 18:41:42

she is still suffering 3 days on, very tired and off her food and still not moving that arm very much - is this normal?

butterfly92 Sun 30-Oct-16 15:02:19

Omg this is worrying

RolfsBabyGrand Sun 30-Oct-16 15:10:26

My baby puked lots after the first jab. I hadn't used calpol as he'd seemed of at first. Second time used calpol just before jab and he was fine.

I remember feeling awful that he was sick but let's face it, this is nothing compared to meningitis. You've done your daughter a massive favour.

shewolfmum Mon 31-Oct-16 22:35:25

But do remember it only protects against one strain and there are so many. Always keep symptoms in your mind even if vax as it is not protection from meningitis.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now