Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Pro Vaccine .....

(24 Posts)
ninenicknames Tue 04-Oct-16 06:26:16

So a friend is considering not vaccinating.

She's asked for opinions as to why you should get vaccinated.

I've given mine! (She asked!)

Can you add a strong reason also so I can back it up .....

I feel passionate about this one

Thanks!

VikingVolva Tue 04-Oct-16 06:36:00

You know, I think that people who don't vaccinate, when there is no medical reason that prevents it, cannot be argued out of their stance.

I wouldn't keep on at her. You've made your case (and as you say you're passionate about this, it'll have covered all the key points). Raking over the same stuff again won't persuade her.

ninenicknames Tue 04-Oct-16 06:42:15

Yes you're right. Be assured I haven't bleated on, I'm not one of those people that do that.

She genuinely asked for other people's opinions, so I am purely trying to get others opinions.

Thanks for your response - one can apply that to lots of topics!

Doesntfitthemould Tue 04-Oct-16 21:24:56

Drs recommend it! They are far more knowledgeable than I am regarding health matters.

ninenicknames Wed 05-Oct-16 15:21:11

She's convinced it causes all these other illnesses & its pharmas making money etc

FaithAscending Wed 05-Oct-16 15:24:50

My main one would be about herd immunity protecting vulnerable people. There are children with health problems that cannot have the vaccinations or stand to become very ill if they catch the illnesses that immunisations are against. By immunising healthy children, we decrease the risk of these vulnerable individuals catching these infections. However someone who has bought into the conspiracy theory of pharmaceutical companies doing it for the money etc is unlikely to be swayed by sensible reasons.

Lweji Wed 05-Oct-16 15:27:41

What reasons did you give?

No point in us repeating the same.

SmallBee Wed 05-Oct-16 15:31:34

I've said this somewhere else recently but can't find it.

Does she believe her research is comparable to the amount of knowledge and work put in by countless highly qualified scientists and doctors? Bare in mind for a vaccine to become available on the NHS it will have had to have been thoroughly researched, developed and rigorously tested by countless teams of highly qualified medical staff. Is her knowledge equal to that or is she just relying on Google?

To address the ' pharmaceutical companies only in it for the money ' issue. Well yes, but so what? They are a company, they need to pay all these highly skilled and qualified professionals. They need to make a profit to invest in new avenues of medical research. And if she's in the UK, she isn't even paying for it herself.

Thirdly, she needs to assess the likelihood of the side effects of these vaccines actually happening to her children and decide if that risk is a greater one than, for example, her child catching whooping cough and dying as a result. I believe there is a greater risk to my child's health without the vaccines, for the first reason I stated above.

ninenicknames Wed 05-Oct-16 16:33:39

I've told her all of the points you make.

She's going down the homeopathic route!

I'm truly stunned.

And yes so what if pharmas do make money ..... Errrr that's economics!

PurpleDaisies Wed 05-Oct-16 16:36:51

If she's already decided not to vaccinate, I'm not sure you're going to have a genuine debate with her.

I totally disagree with her choice but she's entitled to make it. If I were her child I'd be getting vaccinated as soon as I could consent to it.

PacificOcean Wed 05-Oct-16 16:37:10

The GPs I know have had their DCs vaccinated. I think they'd know if it was all a con.

Lweji Wed 05-Oct-16 16:43:23

She's going down the homeopathic route!
And yes so what if pharmas do make money ..... Errrr that's economics!

Maybe you should mention all the money homeopaths make out of water?

In fact, vaccines are the ultimate homeopathic medicine. Treat like with like. Preferably before you get ill.

sparkleglitterdaisy Wed 05-Oct-16 16:53:47

We had friends who decided not to bother immunising . Unfortunately the younger girl caught polio , was horrendously ill , almost died , was in hospital months & had to re learn how to walk all over again . The first thing the parents did after was get both children fully vaccinated .

PurpleDaisies Wed 05-Oct-16 16:59:11

Where did she manage to catch polio sparkle? I'm not an advocate at all of not vaccinating but polio has basically been eradicated in all but third world countries. That's phenomenally unlucky.

SmallBee Wed 05-Oct-16 17:21:07

Homeopathic? Really? And they do everything for free I suppose?

There are hundreds of examples of this going wrong but this article shows the most recent case of parents who went down that route... Its not something anyone deserves. www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/meningitis-toddler-dead-vaccination-david-collet-stephan-canada-a6939166.html

sparkleglitterdaisy Wed 05-Oct-16 17:21:41

She spent months at GOS with it - -they thought it was picked up in the UAE on holiday .

PurpleDaisies Wed 05-Oct-16 17:37:36

I'm surprised-the UAE has mandatory polio vaccination and hasn't had a case since 1992.

Sidge Wed 05-Oct-16 17:43:15

Vaccination - along with clean water - is one of the biggest and best public health initiatives ever. It has saved thousands and thousands of lives.

Homeopathy errr, hasn't.

frikadela01 Wed 05-Oct-16 17:50:21

If she buys in the homeopath spiel then i doubt anything anyone will say will change her mind.
She has a problem with big pharma making money whilst providing actual results but has no problem with giving money to people selling water, people like this cannot be reasoned with.

shewolfmum Thu 06-Oct-16 00:27:45

Vaccined are the ultimate homeopathic medicine...eeek...but probably without aborted fetus, aluminium, antibiotics, monkey cells in them!

sycamore54321 Thu 06-Oct-16 00:34:19

It doesn't sound like she's a logical facts and stats person so instead of appeal to emotion.

Show her a you tube video of a baby around the same age as hers with whooping cough. Or better still, a dozen of them in a row. And then one of a child with tetanus. And close up images of measle rash. And survivors of polio. Etc etc. You get the picture.

By the way, polio is sadly alive and well in Europe - the occupied part of Ukraine was unable to continue its childhood immunisation programme during the past two years and in this time, has seen several polio outbreaks. This for me shows the massive importance of accessible, mass-uptake vaccine programmes.

There have also been rare cares of virtually-eradicateda-in-the-west diseases like diphtheria I believe in Spain which cropped up in anti-vax populations. Not to mention things like tetanus and some forms of hepatitis which basically live on all sorts of surfaces just waiting to infect us.

FaithAscending Thu 06-Oct-16 13:49:37

I've just challenged someone who posted a link to this 'love this pic' article (which is full of propaganda) on FB. Apparently the flu vaccine is full of mercury and causes Alzheimer's hmm

Sofabitch Thu 06-Oct-16 13:52:16

We don't see children drying of small pox anymore.

The evidence is really really clear and if she thinks it's just about big pharma making money then she clearly has no idea about the individuals that work long hours for mostly shit pay to solve health problems

sycamore54321 Thu 06-Oct-16 14:06:22

I would also consider if you want to attach consequences to her refusal, eg her children will be no longer welcome to come into contact with yours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now