We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is anyone delaying MMR

(55 Posts)
butterfly92 Wed 28-Sep-16 07:18:23

I am not an antivax but I research every single vaccine before I will be giving them to my baby (i was injured by vaccination years ago). One thing that is concerning is MMR. At 12 months of age autism statistics are high and I believe it does cause it. I am reading the vaccine friendly plan which states that parents who followed it had 0 cases of autism! So i plan on delaying the mmr until they are at least 4 or 5. Is anyone else doing this?

scaevola Wed 28-Sep-16 07:23:34

You seem to be confusing correlation with causation.

Of course a condition that manifests itself age c.12 months will not do so in older children. Irrespective of what else is going on.

In the meantime, your DC have no protection (including the the nursery and early school years).

If the MMR was a cause, then the consequence would be occurring in every childhood age group to which it is given.

butterfly92 Wed 28-Sep-16 07:25:29

It has been proven that MMR does cause Autism not in every children mind you but in majority of them. Funny how once upon a time a toddler is talking, walking, laughing and doing all the general normal things a toddler would do ... until the MMR.

JellyWitch Wed 28-Sep-16 07:26:55

Hope you've got a hard hat on!

Make your decision based on your own assessment of the information available; not based on what someone else on a message board is doing.

WinchesterWoman Wed 28-Sep-16 07:28:12

Keep up with the research is all I can say!

Brontebiscuits Wed 28-Sep-16 07:28:32

'It has been proven'. Who by? When?

Felyne Wed 28-Sep-16 07:28:59

"It has been proven that MMR does cause Autism" - where has this been proven please?

blinkowl Wed 28-Sep-16 07:29:17

If you think MMR causes autism you haven't done your research properly. This has been scrutinised in detail.

Go back and do some more research! And learn the difference between corolation and causation.

Also while you're at it, have you thoroughly researched the risks of measles, mumps and rubella?

LittleCandle Wed 28-Sep-16 07:29:25

IT has been categorically proven that the MMR does not cause autism. DD2 had a very mild dose of measles just weeks before she was due to receive the MMR and was horribly ill with them. These diseases are not just 'rites of passage' for all kids. They can be utterly devastating and you are willing to expose your child to them, even though you say you are not anti-vax. It sounds to me as though you are. I have a friend with 2 autistic sons and looking back, we can see the signs of autism from when they were quite small. Both had the MMR, but it did not cause their autism. You say you have been researching, but I think you really need to speak to someone with medical knowledge rather than relying on Dr Google.

scaevola Wed 28-Sep-16 07:32:16

You're not going to persuade someone who thinks the overwhelming weight of research is wrong.

Don't feed it.

WinchesterWoman Wed 28-Sep-16 07:33:41

It has not been proven either way. There is circumstantial evidence and epidemiological that it does: there is epidemiological evidence that it doesn't. Personally I believe some of the parents' accounts are genuine. It is your decision and yours alone.

Jasonandyawegunorts Wed 28-Sep-16 07:36:28

It has been proven that MMR does cause Autism

No it doesn't.
It has been proven that there is no connection between MMR and autism.

WinchesterWoman Wed 28-Sep-16 07:38:46

It has not been so proven and indeed it would be impossible to prove.

DoItTooJulia Wed 28-Sep-16 07:40:54

Are you new to MN because this topic has been done a lot and if you search for other threads on the MMR and autism you'll see how they usually go.

yumamumma Wed 28-Sep-16 07:42:15

Autism presents itself around the same time that you would notice any ill effects from MMR. It has not been proven that there is any link at all. My daughter missed her vaccine due to cross over with doctors so didn't have it until she was 19 months old. I understand concern regarding this but having a young baby with measles mumps or rubella just wouldn't be worth it in my eyes. Maybe enquire about paying to have all injections separately?!

MoggyP Wed 28-Sep-16 07:43:16

butterfly92 is well aware of many vax threads on MN, given the number s/he has bumped, with the 'I'm not antivax BUT..." approach.

Jasonandyawegunorts Wed 28-Sep-16 07:44:07

It has not been so proven and indeed it would be impossible to prove.

it has been proven not to be the cause of Autism.

Not only this but the doctor who originally claimed this to be true was discredited.

butterfly92 Wed 28-Sep-16 07:47:15

Thanks everyone and Andrew Wakefield proved it obviously they took his licence from him because he exposed the amount of shit the pharma comes out with

Jasonandyawegunorts Wed 28-Sep-16 07:48:08

Andrew Wakefield proved it obviously they took his licence from him because he exposed the amount of shit the pharma comes out with

FFS

Jasonandyawegunorts Wed 28-Sep-16 07:49:46

they took his licence from him due to misconduct, and faking a link between MMR and autism.

Jasonandyawegunorts Wed 28-Sep-16 07:50:43

Why have his findings never been able to be reproduced?

Because they were faked.

And before you shout cover up, No, just look at thalidomide.

ToInfinity Wed 28-Sep-16 07:51:35

My understanding is that current research suggests that the neurological changes of the brain that cause autism happen in the womb - so no way any vaccine could influence it.
I may be wrong, but Andrew Wakefield dis DEFINITELY wrong!

Jasonandyawegunorts Wed 28-Sep-16 07:51:44

Why would "They" cover up one and not the other?

Jasonandyawegunorts Wed 28-Sep-16 07:52:49

What about all the people who see autism signs before 12 months?

Are they lying?

phillipp Wed 28-Sep-16 07:54:51

Andrew Wakefield proved it obviously they took his licence from him because he exposed the amount of shit the pharma comes out with

You are confusing conspiracy theories with fact. There is no proof MMR causes autism.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now