Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

MMR vaccine 12 days ago baby has a rash...

(18 Posts)
LONC2012 Tue 13-Sep-16 08:34:25

Hi all,
My 12 month old had his MMR vaccine 12 days ago, he hasn't been his normal happy self since however he has had an ear infection too.

This morning I have noticed a rash on the back of his neck which is spreading down his back and onto his tummy. Is this a normal reaction after the injection?

It's not a rarified rash it's more like a mumps rash.

Thanks
X

dementedpixie Tue 13-Sep-16 17:06:16

Mumps doesn't give a rash, it gives swollen glands. Could it be a measles rash?

PurpleThursday Tue 13-Sep-16 17:14:06

Isn't there something in the little red book or on an information sheet given by health visitor that tells you there is some chance of a rash a certain number of days after the jabs?

PurpleThursday Tue 13-Sep-16 17:15:02

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/pages/mmr-side-effects.aspx

PurpleThursday Tue 13-Sep-16 17:15:28

... But obviously see a Dr if you are unsure. flowers

LONC2012 Tue 13-Sep-16 17:25:31

Sorry I mean to say a measles rash. I'll try attach a photo if I can. He seems okay in himself so hoping it's just all to do with his jabs smile xx

dementedpixie Tue 13-Sep-16 17:30:15

Could be a post viral rash if he's had an ear infection. Heat rash?

WinchesterWoman Tue 13-Sep-16 20:10:29

I think there can be mumps symptoms up to three weeks later?

mikado1 Tue 13-Sep-16 20:13:03

It's mini measles op. My ds2 had it last week-also 12 days after MMR. Did yours have a fever too? It shoukd be gone within 48 hours. Hth.

LONC2012 Tue 13-Sep-16 21:06:22

His temp has been up and down but he has had an ear infection too. Not been right since the injections to be honest but the rash just started today. Just need a full nights sleep to be honest haha.
X

mikado1 Tue 13-Sep-16 21:25:04

I'm sure it's the mini measles like my guy. I hear you on the night's sleep. 380 nights without one here..... zzz!

LONC2012 Tue 13-Sep-16 21:58:16

I can't remember the last time he slept through! Hopefully a couple more weeks and his jabs/infections will have completely cleared and we can have our happy baby back!
They are a constant worry aren't they! X

anotherdayanothersquabble Fri 07-Oct-16 06:08:29

You should report the symptoms to the doctor. Measles depletes vitamin A so it's worth supplementing vitamin A, C and D. The ear infection could also be related.

anotherdayanothersquabble Fri 07-Oct-16 06:14:17

Just noticed the date. Presumably well on the mend by now!!!

AppleMagic Fri 07-Oct-16 06:14:52

I'm pretty sure that a rash at this time after the vaccination is a common side effect of the mmr. Both of mine had it after the first dose.

parisgellar Fri 07-Oct-16 06:50:56

Looks like a measles rash, same happened to my little boy when he had his mmr. Nothing to worry about I don't think.

SquirrelPaws Fri 07-Oct-16 06:58:09

We were given a leaflet with all the possible reactions. DD had everything except the mumps one; rash, temperature, cold-like symptoms, between that and normal winter viruses she was mildly ill for about a month afterwards. It doesn't half get their little immune systems working.

LONC2012 Fri 07-Oct-16 13:09:49

He is absolutely fine now and the rash went after 2 days. We have had a few nights of sleeping through however the molars are now on their way!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now