Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

HPV vaccination - advice

(30 Posts)
KatieB55 Thu 08-Sep-16 10:52:40

There is some advice for parents considering the HPV vaccination for their daughters on this website:

anhinternational.org/hpv-vaccination/

and a video from parents in Ireland:

www.facebook.com/REGRET.ie

butterfly92 Thu 22-Sep-16 08:42:15

I was injured from the hpv vaccine (was known as cervarix at the time). It took me months to recover and I did not get the third vaccination.

fleur34 Thu 22-Sep-16 08:46:13

Show me the peer-reviewed scientific evidence and I'll believe you OP

KatieB55 Thu 22-Sep-16 08:56:27

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27609278

Recently published from Japan

KatieB55 Thu 22-Sep-16 09:01:55

link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40264-016-0456-3

There are more peer reviewed publications in the References section of this paper that was also published very recently.

Caper86 Thu 22-Sep-16 09:03:32

Why do people always ask anti vaxxers to show peer reviewed proof? Is it because they never researched themselves before deciding to vaccinate? I have a huge file of 1000 peer reviews into the negative effects of vaccines, which I read thoroughly before making any decisions. I found it easily after speaking to a GP who did vaccine research. But it seems like pro vaxxers don't believe that peer reviews on negative effects of vaccines exist. Do your own research, it's readily avaliable to anyone who bothers to look...

KatieB55 Thu 22-Sep-16 09:58:25

Caper86 - I am not anti-vaccination - I have three children and they are all fully vaccinated. My daughter had the HPV vaccination and has been very unwell for more than 7 years. It has been acknowledged by her consultant that she has had an autoimmune reaction.
It is a fact that there are side effects from all medications - read the Patient Information Leaflet and you will see many more side effects listed than are on the leaflet that is given out at school.

WinchesterWoman Sun 25-Sep-16 22:03:05

Yes I would not have this jab or give it to my children.

gunting Sun 25-Sep-16 22:11:22

I had this vaccine 7 years ago and now I'm terrified. Thanks confused

KatieB55 Mon 26-Sep-16 08:05:37

@gunting millions of girls have had this vaccination with no adverse effects. However parents should do their research and be aware that there are side effects listed on the Patient Information Leaflet that are not listed on the leaflet that is given out at school. There are also many girls who became ill immediately after the vaccination with very similar symptoms and the articles posted above encourage further investigation into this.

KatieB55 Fri 07-Oct-16 14:36:42

Another recent publication re HPV vaccination side effects

Wikkitikki Sun 04-Dec-16 17:06:27

Melinda Messenger has written an article in the Daily Fail about declining the HPV jab. One of the commenters has claimed a girls school in Hampshire now refuses to administer the jab.

MedSchoolRat Sun 04-Dec-16 17:54:13

You linked to the same article twice, OP.
The Japanese article concerns 32 patients. The last time I read the Japanese research they were linking POTS onset to jabs received 3-5 months earlier.

In aid of informed decision making, 2015 European Medicines Agency press release that concluded that HPV vaccine is not shown to be unsafe.

KatieB55 Mon 05-Dec-16 11:32:21

Independent scientists at the Nordic Cochrane Centre have filed a complaint with the European Ombudsman about the way in which the EMA investigation into POTS and CRPS was carried out:

KatieB55 Mon 05-Dec-16 11:33:56

This paper from the WHO Uppsala Monitoring Centre has been published since the EMA review:

KatieB55 Mon 05-Dec-16 11:35:56

nordic.cochrane.org/sites/nordic.cochrane.org/files/public/uploads/ResearchHighlights/Complaint-to-ombudsman-over-EMA.pdf

Sorry - Nordic Cochrane complaint here

KatieB55 Mon 05-Dec-16 11:38:09

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27609278

Japanese publication concerns analysis of cerebral spinal fluid from girls who are ill post HPV

"These results suggest biological, mainly immunological, changes in the CSF of patients after HPV vaccination."

TheJunctionBaby Sun 18-Dec-16 14:21:27

Here's a very informative presentation on the hpv vaccine delivered by Lucija Tomljenovic PhD at the 4th international symposium on vaccines in Leipzig.

vaccineimpact.com/2016/is-there-objective-science-to-justify-hpv-vaccine-programs/

Oolonk42 Fri 30-Dec-16 17:13:39

Thanks KatieB55 & TheJunctionBaby for your posts, extremely useful and informative. Personally I don't think it is worth the risk for my 13yr old daughter.

For me it is enough just to look at the cervical cancer statistics in the UK, deaths less than 0.005% of the female population per year, the same in the US and those contracting cervical cancer although higher, still in the sub 1% area. It seems to me that this vaccine really might be unnecessary especially after reading the FDA Biologics site where it is quoted:

"It is believed that prevention of cervical precancerous lesions is highly likely to result in the prevention of those cancers."

I am not very impressed that a whole worldwide program has been started when it is only "believed" that the vaccination is "likely" to prevent something.

I can't find any objective evidence based research or proof that it does prevent cervical cancer.

www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccines/SafetyAvailability/ucm096052.htm

Loopsdefruits Fri 30-Dec-16 17:32:36

HPV infection is the leading cause of cervical cancer. Just 2 strains of HPV are responsible for about 70% of all cervical cancer cases

www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/infectious-agents/hpv-fact-sheet#q2

So, logically, if you can prevent initial HPV infection, you can greatly reduce the likelihood of getting cervical cancer from HPV infection. Obviously you can't say 100% that people who have the HPV vaccine will never get cervical/other cancer, but you can reduce the risk. It would still be important for people to have on-schedule smear tests and be aware of other symptoms.

Additionally, HPV can cause other cancers as well as cervical cancer, so it's not just protecting against cervical cancer.

chicaguapa Fri 30-Dec-16 17:33:36

DD(15) has had CFS/ME for a year and had the HPV 12 months before she became ill. My Danish friend works with a charity/ group in Denmark that believes that the two are linked. DH is a scientist and she can't convince him that they are connected as there isn't enough evidence and he dismisses it as circumstantial.

DD also has ASD traits and had the MMR. Certainly for a while I beat myself up about it while there was so much controversy about the MMR and could have convinced myself her traits were because I let DD have the vaccination, but then that report was dismissed anyway.

I feel the same way about the HPV. It's impossible to know if one is because of the other. You have to weigh up what you believe are the risks.

Loopsdefruits Fri 30-Dec-16 18:39:16

chica I'm sorry for your daughter, CFS/ME is horrible sad I have a different condition but there's a lot of crossover there so I totally understand. Could it be (as with the MMR) that CFS/ME is just more likely to manifest at that age? So like, ASD is more likely to manifest obviously/be diagnosed in children around the age they have the MMR? I know my symptoms started around age 13/14, I didn't get the HPV then because I was the first year in the 'catch-up' so I got it at 15, but if I had had the HPV then it would have coincided with my symptoms.

TheJunctionBaby Fri 30-Dec-16 19:26:03

chicaguapa I watched a documentary a while back about the devastating effects of the hoc a cinema on girls in Denmark.

IMO there are far too many severe adverse events being reported worldwide for me to trust this vaccine. All the families have 3 things in common: they had their healthy daughters vaccinated, their daughters became chronically ill, and no one will help them with the aftermath

chicaguapa Fri 30-Dec-16 23:27:45

@Loopsdefruits thank you. smile I'm sorry to hear you're ill too.

I agree with you. I think the age is probably the link not necessarily the vaccine. I had a similar experience with alternative therapies for CFS/ME. I had booked DD in for some reflexology but ended up not going as DD was a bit hmm about it. She then had a series of "good days" and I remarked that we would have put that down to the reflexology if she had gone.

In DD's case I'm prepared to accept that perhaps the HPV followed by the Epstein Barr virus they detected in her bloods may have contributed to the CFS/ME but that's not to say the HPV on its own was the wrong thing to give her or will cause that in every other 14 yo. There are approx. 135 girls in DD's year who are NOT ill 2 years later.

My layman's view is that there must be some evidence of efficacy for a nationwide vaccination programme to be funded by the NHS because unfortunately money speaks louder than words. But I admit I haven't done the research. I just came on this thread because I remembered that the first question my friend asked was if DD had had the HPV.

Y0uCann0tBeSer10us Sat 31-Dec-16 10:50:23

That was an interesting presentation. What struck me was the quote that the vaccine is unlikely to lower the incidence of cervical cancer beyond the level seen with smear tests (and may actually increase it if people assume smears are no longer needed). If that's true, then the vaccine is of absolutely no benefit any level of side effects.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now