Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Men B vaccine- North West recommendations and toddler side effects

(26 Posts)
Joneseygirl77 Wed 20-Jul-16 13:29:55

Just had a call to say the men b vaccine is now available at a private clinic in Chester. I've been quoted £155 per dose which seems on upper end of pricing but I can't find anywhere else closer to us in south Cheshire.

Just wondering if anyone had clinic recommendations and also did your DCs have side effects?
DD is 2.3 and she has been ok with jabs so far with usual side effects- high temps/ swelling at site.

untinctured Thu 21-Jul-16 10:24:18

I am still waiting for CityDoc to get in touch. I will be travelling in to one of their London clinics.

Before the jab it is worth asking the clinic if they follow the Resus Council guidelines regarding resuscitation training, equipment and drugs just in case of a serious adverse reaction.

Slightlypanicked Thu 21-Jul-16 15:08:45

Boots have it available. £95 per dose

GlummyMummy Fri 22-Jul-16 12:29:01

Hi, I'm interested in the side effects issue with MenB vaccine too. My daughter is 2. Was initially keen to pay for her to have the vaccine but then I spoke to a GP friend who warned me off it a bit due to possible side effects of the vaccine. Has anyone any info on this? He said the risks of side effects from vaccine are higher than risks of actual meningitis for 2 year olds.

Slightlypanicked Fri 22-Jul-16 12:44:51

For what it's worth glummy my dc's haven't had it but lots of my friends babies and toddlers have and we're absolutely fine. A bit if a temp and sore leg/arm but nothing compared to the 1 in 10 chance if death or 1 in 4 chance of severe complications such as limb loss and deafness if they were to get meningitis. The benefits outweigh the risks for me.

DiamondInTheRuff Fri 22-Jul-16 12:48:28

We've just been offered it by boots and now I'm wobbling. DS is 3.6 so will be really aware of what's happening this time. He has his preschool boosters on Wednesday so will see how he does with those before I decide whether or not to book.

Gives me a bit of time to look into risks and have a think.

CowVersusMouse Fri 22-Jul-16 12:56:45

Untinctured Citydoc have it, my friend has been very very recently, I would contact them

RNBrie Fri 22-Jul-16 12:59:28

Boots have it, they are the cheapest.

Side effects here for 4.6 and 2 year old were very grumpy for the rest of the day and sore arms for 48 hours. No fever or any other symptoms.

GlummyMummy Fri 22-Jul-16 20:03:39

I'm the same as DiamondIn TheRuff - just been offered through Boots and now having second thoughts! I was all for it when I first signed up with Boots, but now I've heard various reports that the vaccine isn't that effective and that side effects are nasty for my daughter's age group, eg risk of convulsions, kawasaki syndrome etc.

DiamondInTheRuff Fri 22-Jul-16 21:12:38

Have you got the 14 day code, too? At least it gives us time to think!

I've only got as far as stressing about the actual injections, never mind side effects! And then there's the issue of where On EARTH I'm going to get £180 from.

Don't suppose anybody has a crystal ball I can borrow?

Can anyone link to some reputable websites for me to read up on side effects etc please?

bumbleymummy Sat 23-Jul-16 10:53:33

Diamond Here is a link to the Bexsero vaccine insert which lists the incidence of side effects.

The JCVI report did state that the data were too limited to identify rare adverse reactions so it's still being assessed.

This paper discusses the effectiveness of the different strains in the vaccine and how long protection lasts.

Hopefully you can find what you're looking for amongst those.

Slightlypanicked This presentation from Dr Mary Ramsay states that MenB has a lower case fatality rate than menC - 5.1% compared to 12.5%. It also shows the incidence in different age groups etc which should help people to assess the risk of their child contracting meningitis alongside the risks of complications from it when trying to weigh it up against the risk of adverse events from the vaccine.

bumbleymummy Sat 23-Jul-16 10:54:17

The JCVI link also has tables showing the incidence in different age groups.

DiamondInTheRuff Sat 23-Jul-16 11:06:54

Brilliant, thank you!

Slightlypanicked Sat 23-Jul-16 11:42:23

Is men c part of the UK's childhood vaccines?
That was a very useful link thank you I do understand that it is very rare but it's still something I want dc's to have.
If I were to have another dc I wouldn't dream of turning down the vaccine if dc was offered it at routine imms.

bumbleymummy Sat 23-Jul-16 11:50:10

No problem smile This link to the vaccine insert is a bit nicer than the first one I gave here

Slightly yes, the menC vaccine has been part of the schedule for a while now (Although the JCVI were discussing removing it from the schedule - mentioned in that link.)

The biggest risk is for under 1s who are currently offered MenB on the NHS. The information about the incidence was more for people with older children who are thinking of paying to get it privately. They may find it helpful to see how many cases there are in their child's age group when they're making their decision.

Slightlypanicked Sat 23-Jul-16 12:19:52

Yes definitely, lots to think about. My main concern would be the link between the jab and kawasaki disease.

bumbleymummy Sat 23-Jul-16 14:56:19

Yes, it's listed as one of the 'rare' side effects.

Incidence - Rare:

(≥1/10,000 to <1/1,000)

Slightlypanicked Sat 23-Jul-16 16:27:44

Thanks bumbley. I had a read through and other than seizures that seems like the most worrisome side effect, and knowing it is one of the rare ones so that is good.

Fortybingowings Sun 24-Jul-16 21:40:17

Anyone else had it done for their little ones? Any ill effects?

Joneseygirl77 Mon 25-Jul-16 15:11:21

Thanks all that's helpful. I was in a Somalia position really wanted this initially and now on the fence! Cost isn't the main prohibitive factor but more issue of side effects.

Diamond/ slightly panicked what have you decided?

GlummyMummy Mon 25-Jul-16 20:18:07

We have until the 28th to decide.......total quandary! I was the same in that I really wanted my daughter to have it when I knew it wasn't available, but now that it is, I am starting to have second thoughts! Really worried about side effects and the fact that the vaccination might not even be that effective! It's a lot to put them through too isn't it

Propertyquandry Mon 25-Jul-16 20:20:25

Ds2&3 had single measles at the clinic in didsbury when we lived there. I know they also do menB.

Propertyquandry Mon 25-Jul-16 20:22:18

Oh and they both had menB here in Sussex last year. Both had very sore arms for about 2 days with the first dose. Nothing with 2nd dose. I think ds2 described it like a dead arm but painful too.

GlummyMummy Thu 28-Jul-16 07:59:26

Dr Google is a bad thing...the more I read about this vaccine, the more unsure I am!! Apparently the vaccine contains more than the safe amount of aluminium and e-coli!! What have others decided?

untinctured Wed 17-Aug-16 07:22:37

My DS had the jab last week. He didn't cry at all at the time - I think the doctor at Citydoc was very good at administering it. We gave him calpol shorty afterwards as this is recommended with the men b jab. He had a temperature and was out of sorts for 1-2 days afterwards. No other side effects. So I think it went well and I am glad we got it done. The second dose will be in two months time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now