Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Men B Vaccine experience

(9 Posts)
frenchbluepuffin Thu 19-May-16 18:55:06

I'm just looking for your experience with this vaccine. I am in France and it is not a compulsory vaccine at all and in fact the doctors know very little about it. I can have DS vaccinated if I want to, but I don't know anyone who has had experience of the vaccine. Was your LO poorly or react badly? I guess I'm a little nervous of a new vaccine, especially one that is not used over here at all.

Jimjamjoos Thu 19-May-16 18:59:42

No issues whatsoever for both dc 2 and 4 years old. Just painful on the cash front!

scandichick Thu 19-May-16 19:02:36

Use calpol or whatever the French equivalent is before getting the injection - about 50% get a fever as a side effect and that reduces the risk. Didn't do it for the first round, and DD got a (brief) bout of fever and crying. I sure remembered the second time...

Noodlebugs1981 Thu 19-May-16 19:03:41

My three year old has a sore arm for a few days. Calpol helped and he soon forgot about it.

frenchbluepuffin Thu 19-May-16 19:09:01

Jimjamjoos - How much does it cost to have it done in the UK if they are outside of the 'compulsory' age?

Jimjamjoos Thu 19-May-16 19:22:13

I'm sure it was £190 per child. Ouch!

DriveMeToTennessee Thu 19-May-16 19:27:28

About £125 a dose per child here, and we had 4 doses for DC2!! and 2 for DC1. Incredibly expensive, and I appreciate how fortunate we are to have been able to pay. I am very grateful we did though.

frenchbluepuffin Thu 19-May-16 19:57:05

Wow, crazy prices! The chemist told me that it costs her 90€ to buy the vaccine in, as for how much I'll have to pay, I don't know that yet. But thank you for the feedback I'll just have to brave it...I hate taking them for vaccines sad

Marzipants Thu 19-May-16 20:00:39

Calpol beforehand and at regular intervals after. My DD screamed blue murder the first time but not the second, but had fever after the second but not after the first. But she did have it alongside 6 and 12 week injections too. No side effects after 24 hours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now