Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Meningitis B schedule - question

(5 Posts)
VagueIdeas Thu 18-Feb-16 19:09:56

Obviously the Men B vaccine is in the news at the moment, and it reminded me that I had a question about the schedule.

DS was born in mid May and so qualifies for the vaccine. He got his first (and so far only) dose at his 16 week vaccination appointment. The nurse said he would get a booster at his 13 month vaccination appointment.

However I later read that the NHS schedule is 8w, 16w and 13m. I'm not sure why he didn't get it at 8 weeks - I'm not sure whether it had actually been rolled out at that point (it would have been July)?

So I'm not sure whether the practice nurse was correct when she said one dose plus the booster at 13m is sufficient or whether he needs another dose in the interim to catch up, as it were.

Obviously I could ring the surgery and ask, but I thought I'd put it to the MN hive mind first smile

unimaginativename13 Thu 18-Feb-16 20:09:25

Did he have his 8 weeks jabs?

Look in his red book to see what was given.

VagueIdeas Thu 18-Feb-16 20:55:06

Yes, he had his 8 week jabs in July and Men B wasn't one of them.

I know why that is now: Men B was rolled out for the first time in September so DS's 16 week vaccination appointment (which was indeed in September) was his first opportunity to have it.

So I'm wondering how these May/June babies, who couldn't possibly have had Men B at eight weeks because it wasn't yet available, are supposed to catch up? There must be some guidelines somewhere...

Topsy34 Tue 15-Mar-16 22:22:23

your baby will more than likely had a good immune response to the one vaccine, the 2nd and then the booster just offer an potential increase in immune response.

Heres the info on it, there is 2, one for pateients one for HCPs, but have a read of both and speak to your pracrise nurse about it

www.medicines.org.uk/emc/search

Kanga59 Thu 14-Apr-16 20:18:40

I wouldn't worry. The.second dose needs to be at leaSt 8 weeks after the first. Therefore it would be reasonable to assume that the nurse is going to give it with the next batch of jabs at 13m to save your child a separate additional jab-session

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now