Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I'm now worried that the HPV vaccine is not safe - will my daughters be infertile because of it?

(82 Posts)
damepeanutbutter Mon 08-Feb-16 21:56:02

A friend just posted this article on Facebook.

My eldest was one of the first to have the HPV vaccine and my youngest DD has just had it a month ago. I'm now worried that I might have signed them off to being infertile. Please can someone with knowledge shed some light on this for me please? I've emailed their school this evening and I shall investigate further. I have to admit to feeling a little bit shock.

LineyReborn Mon 08-Feb-16 21:58:57

Half the girls in my DD's class who had the first jabs are pregnant or have had babies.

I hope that helps.

damepeanutbutter Mon 08-Feb-16 22:01:10

Wow! They must be 19 like my DD? Or perhaps 20?

UmbongoUnchained Mon 08-Feb-16 22:03:45

My year group was the first in my area to get the jab and I'm 22. Not that it matters.

Seriouslyffs Mon 08-Feb-16 22:03:45

grin Liney
Guess that answers your question damep

scaevola Mon 08-Feb-16 22:06:03

"This compares to the pre-HPV vaccine period from 1990 to 2006 during which no cases of POF or premature menopause and 32 cases of amenorrhea were reported to VAERS."

Basic misunderstanding by the author.

Of course there are no reports of adverse effects of a vaccine, when there is no such vaccine being administered.

Haggisfish Mon 08-Feb-16 22:06:32

No it will not affect Dds fertility.

Amziix Mon 08-Feb-16 22:07:49

I had it, I'm now 24 and have a five month DD. DP and I decided we wanted to start trying, I got pregnant as soon as I had my implant removed. Aware this is v v lucky but I didn't have any issues! grin

Haggisfish Mon 08-Feb-16 22:09:54

scienceblogs.com/insolence/2012/10/30/ovarian-failure-caused-by-gardasil-not-so-fast/
I'm not trying to be arsey but do you not look into/google this sort of stuff to see the underlying science or flaws in the data quoted by websites that peddle this misinformation?

titchy Mon 08-Feb-16 22:13:03

You've emailed their school shock That'll get a few raised eyebrows in the staff room!

Katiebeau Mon 08-Feb-16 22:18:08

And anyone educated in clinical trials knows the placebo is to be as perfect match to the medicine as possible and only lacking the actual active ingredient.

This paper is not written by people who understand high quality clinical research. Seriously. There are many issues with this text.

catscratchingpost Mon 08-Feb-16 22:19:28

Jesus.

gunting Mon 08-Feb-16 22:25:47

I'm 22 and had the HPV vaccine when I was 15.

I have a son so nope, definitely not infertile.

RavioliOnToast Mon 08-Feb-16 22:30:13

I'm 23 (just gone), I had the HPV jab at school and I fell pregnant in the first contraception free month both times, and now have two healthy gorgeous girls. Don't worry.

ChesterCake Mon 08-Feb-16 22:59:59

I'm 23 and had the vaccine and have two
Children now

damepeanutbutter Tue 09-Feb-16 12:39:27

Thank you to all of you for your helpful comments and reassurance. In the light of day I'm not so worried. Luckily titchy, the staff members at DD's school are not mumsnetters and so don't wear judgeypants and have taken my query about this seriously. I appreciate their maturity.

Star prize, however, goes to Haggis for not only providing a helpful counter-article (thank you) but for also being the best at being patronising.

Mag314 Tue 09-Feb-16 12:44:53

My daughter had it, and I know there are a lot of concerns with it, especially in denmark and japan. So I buckled in, and signed the consent form, and my DD has had it. Let's hope it's all for the best!

RomComPhooey Tue 09-Feb-16 12:46:15

This thread totally confounded my expectations by NOT linking to a Daily Fail hate piece. Wonders will never cease.

Rather than get chippy with other posters, perhaps work on your general level of credulousness, OP.

Mag314 Tue 09-Feb-16 13:20:27

I know your post isn't directed at me romcom but do you have to be so patronising to the OP?

My daughter has also had that vaccination within the last few months and I know that I had reservations myself. I went ahead with it. But there are a lot of articles out there, and different countries have different levels of concern, and as a busy mother, it's not practical to suggest to an OP who raises a concern on a parenting website that she ''work on [her] level of credulousness'' confused

Even if a concerned parent knew exactly which scientific articles were credible, and where to find them, and could wade through them and interpret them, the scientists are not all in total agreement with each other over this vaccine! So being snippy to a mother whose dds have had this injection is just so unnecessarily unpleasant and rude.

Roonerspism Tue 09-Feb-16 13:27:14

So, what are we saying? That the American College of Paediatricians hasn't released the article at all?

I don't know why some people think it's funny to be so sneering at those who question vaccinations. They are NOT risk free.

Haggisfish Tue 09-Feb-16 14:30:26

I clearly didn't mean to be patronising. I'm trying to fathom why you wouldn't do a very quick google search to look for evidence for such a claim. My mum says I am too sceptical about lots of things, but I just like to make decisions based on evidence. Glad you found the article useful. I meant it honestly when I asked for your thought processes!

Mag314 Tue 09-Feb-16 14:43:43

Haggis, I meant the poster before my previous post. Posters who supply useful links and information are helpful imo

Anyway brew

damepeanutbutter Tue 09-Feb-16 15:04:27

Haggis, I am not a scientist and have zilch medical knowledge, so any Dr Googling that I did would still result in me being more confused. I posted what I posted to see if there are those on MN, more knowledgeable than me, who could make sense of that article. Mag is right and thank you for your supportive words. This is a parenting website: by parents for parents. It isn't a venue for bullying. Go to twitter if that's your game RomCom.

Incidentally I also sent that link to another mum in DD's year who is a GP. She has emailed back:

"HI Peanut
This is certainly a concern. It’s not made it into the mainstream English medical journals yet but it’s going to now take a long time for them to unravel the potential association.
Will have to decide whether to let my DD have the second one in 6 months - it might be a little clearer by then. All a bit worrying"

That is from a GP, not some narcissistic bully MNer who comes onto this site to make small of other mothers with genuine concerns. Along the way through their schooling my DCs have come across some pretty spiteful kids at school. I now know what their mothers spend their day doing - sharking around MN to pronounce spite and bile and deride genuinely concerned posters.

titchy Tue 09-Feb-16 15:27:02

In my defence OP, if your thread title was 'I'm worried the HPV vaccine isn't safe' that would have been quite reasonable.

But to suggest that an entire cohort of girls might now be infertile because of this vaccine was rather ludicrous....

damepeanutbutter Tue 09-Feb-16 15:35:16

<puts patient face on>

titchy, I wrote to the school because I am worried about MY DDs and I asked if they could tell me what drug was used in the vaccination so as to increase MY knowledge.

As you were .......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now