Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Northampton school - 15 boys unwell after vaccines

(33 Posts)
minpin Sun 07-Feb-16 00:49:13

does anyone know anything about this from 2 weeks ago? I worry because they were year 10 boys who had more than one vaccine and 15 sadly collapsed afterwards. I think they are all ok but which vaccines ? Our school are soon to give Men ACWY/Tdp together and now I am wondering if it is safe. I hope the boys are all ok now.

DelphiniumBlue Sun 07-Feb-16 00:54:09

Watching with interest- DS3 has the ( as yet unsigned) consent form in his bag.
Hope those boys are all OK.

DelphiniumBlue Sun 07-Feb-16 11:54:37

Bumping for everyone who didn't see this last night.

LIZS Sun 07-Feb-16 12:01:37

Is this the booster? Sometimes one feeling off can trigger others feeling ill rather than a specific problem with the vaccine. Dd recently had hers to no ill effect.

winkywinkola Sun 07-Feb-16 12:08:48

Sometimes one feeling off can trigger others illness? Is that what you mean? Really?

Op, what are the doctors saying? And the school? Gosh. Are they boys okay now?

LIZS Sun 07-Feb-16 12:28:33

Yes there was an example in another school. A number of pupils complained of illness and were taken to hospital but no cause identified.

LIZS Sun 07-Feb-16 12:33:19

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3419025/Paramedics-called-vaccinated-pupils-Northampton-School-Boys-faint.html

This is the story, seems somewhat anecdotal.

ChalkHearts Sun 07-Feb-16 12:36:12

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3419025/Paramedics-called-vaccinated-pupils-Northampton-School-Boys-faint.html

Just because the boys are now feeling better, it's impossible to tell if any long term (invisible) damage was done.

LIZS Sun 07-Feb-16 12:36:31

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-34789661

Previous incident.

IguanaTail Sun 07-Feb-16 12:39:25

So the person the journalist chose to quote was not actually a witness at all, it was a second hand version from her 15 year old. Excellent journalism.

noblegiraffe Sun 07-Feb-16 12:54:05

Sometimes one feeling off can trigger others illness? Is that what you mean? Really?

This can certainly be the case in schools, hysteria and panic causing psychosomatic symptoms.

AuntieStella Sun 07-Feb-16 13:01:05

www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/local/a-dozen-pupils-taken-ill-after-reaction-to-meningitis-jab-at-northampton-school-for-boys-1-7184535

Local newspaper version.

OneEpisode Sun 07-Feb-16 19:55:29

The school says all the boys are now well. The fainting seems to have been group hysteria, as sometimes happen in army blood donation sessions.

OneEpisode Sun 07-Feb-16 19:57:10

Link www.nsb.northants.sch.uk/the-school/latest-news/headmaster-s-bulletin-29th-january-2016/
(29th January, the newspaper reports are older)

AuntieStella Sun 07-Feb-16 20:09:34

Here's an example from last year, which was initially investigated as some sort of gas leak, but no noxious substance was found.

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/nov/11/pupils-collapse-school-ripon-south-yorkshire

minpin Sun 07-Feb-16 23:10:38

Thanks for the local report; so it was Men ACWY. Headmaster saying all boys well now. Thank goodness.
Cannot seriously believe there is a psychosomatic effect for 12 boys!! That's ridiculous. And anyway, surely they don't vaccinate together, so they can't see each other getting vaccinated?

IguanaTail Sun 07-Feb-16 23:22:14

They probably go to a hall where nurses are stationed at tables. I can't bear vaccination days. Parents tend to withdraw their kids if they are genuinely needle-phobic and get it done at the GPs. Thank goodness.

Other girls absolutely love the drama and excitement of being the Most Scared. I don't spend any time persuading them, I just tell them it's not a problem if they don't want to be vaccinated here, they can get it done at their surgery. For 95% of them the tears then dry up with the annoyance of getting zero attention, and they get the jab with no more hassle. Some of the nurses, all soothing and biscuit-proffering, don't help calm things. They then associate over the top panicking with lots of attention, biscuits and delaying going back to their lesson.

zoemaguire Sun 07-Feb-16 23:34:31

You may not be able to believe it, but that doesn't alter the fact that it is a completely recognised and documented phenomenon. See for instance www.psychologytoday.com/blog/brain-bootcamp/201009/mass-hysteria-can-strike-anywhere-anytime which gives a number of examples of mass hysteria in crowd situations leading to psychosomatic symptoms.

Blu Sun 07-Feb-16 23:34:48

Big difference between 'collapsing' and fainting. And fainting is definitely 'catching'. As a pp says, it happens in the army.

DelphiniumBlue Mon 08-Feb-16 07:46:27

So no real indication that anything was wrong with the vaccine then.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Mon 08-Feb-16 07:54:14

Far more likely it's the power of suggestion. One feels ill or faint, this affects another and it's like a dominio effect. Probably what happened on the plane the other week where it had to return to the UK after people started collapsing.

zoemaguire Mon 08-Feb-16 07:56:20

I think collapsing does mean fainting here, they didn't all have cardiac arrests, or it'd be front page national disaster material!

RidersOnTheStorm Mon 08-Feb-16 08:07:17

When I was on supply at a secondary school one girl panicked after having the injection which triggered others to faint. It was really weird.

Blu Mon 08-Feb-16 08:12:48

So reading all the reports, actually NONE of them were found to be 'unwell' after the vx, the vaccines were found to have nothing wrong with them and the police and fire brigade confirmed there were no unusual fumes or gases or substances present.

Kids at DC's secondary really whipped each other up on the morning of vx day. Really OTT. And played daft tricks in each other. Tens are extremely susceptible to hysteria. It happened in our school over 'Ouija' boards and again with attempted levitation. Half the class were sent home pale and fainting.

minpin Mon 08-Feb-16 08:19:16

I do believe that mass hysteria happens. BUT we cannot assume that it can only be that. Adverse reactions do happen. What if there was a problem with a vaccine and it's covered up by 'mass hysteria'. How do they check the vaccines ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now