Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Bexsero shortage - aargh!

(7 Posts)
BBQueen Wed 27-Jan-16 16:08:32

Finally stopped procrastinating and decided to book private MenB vaccinations for DC. There's a shortage of Bexsero and they now can't start the course til June or July.

Just wanted to vent... unless anyone knows of a stash somewhere

COYGL12 Wed 17-Feb-16 12:13:26

I am in the same boat. Plymouth area & cannot find anywhere that will even consider vaccinating my 14 month old privately/for a fee due to no stock.

If anyone knows of anywhere please feel free to share!

Thank you smile

HeadDreamer Wed 17-Feb-16 12:16:00

I took DD2 for her chicken pox booster. The travel clinic told me I was lucky to have finished both DDs men B vaccination. There is apparently a shortage because of the NHS rollout, and they will only continue with existing courses of vaccination and not taking on new ones. And while I was there, someone just rung and asked about the men B vaccine!

cauliflowercheese14 Mon 22-Feb-16 14:23:20

I'm really upset about this too. Scared by the media coverage but can't do anything about it now.

bumbleymummy Wed 24-Feb-16 07:07:14

I think it's great that the media coverage is raising awareness of meningitis and its symptoms beyond the rash (which may appear when the child is already very ill or not at all). However, I think it has also created a lot of very worried parents. If you look at the figures, cases of MenB have been declining for the last 10 years so not only are our older children in the lower risk category age wise, there are also fewer cases around now than then were when they were babies and in the higher risk group. I hope some people find that a bit reassuring. It's hard to keep things in perspective when there are so many tragic stories in the news.

Y0uCann0tBeSer10us Thu 25-Feb-16 08:09:42

It's been very distressing to see all the sick children in the news, and I'm very grateful to their parents' for sharing their stories and giving us all a better idea of what to look out for.

It's important to remember though that your children are no more at risk of Men B than they have been in recent years, and actually are at lower risk as Men B rates continue to fall even before the intervention of the vaccine.

That said, I'm sure we'd all like to see Meningitis eliminated completely. The question is how best to go about that. It's interesting that the Meningitis Research Foundation is using the publicity from the recent petition to push for recommendations that the effectiveness of the vaccine be fully evaluated, and that the next group that should be targeted is that at next highest risk - teenagers. That sounds sensible to me, and hopefully we'll also see development of better Men B vaccines that are safer and more effective than Bexsero, with a realistic chance of generating herd immunity.

MrsOs Mon 29-Feb-16 21:35:49

Im livid because our ds had the first jab now there is not enough vaccine to do the 2nd jab!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now