Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Shingles and pregnancy

(3 Posts)
Klara1980 Wed 18-Nov-15 16:18:39

Does anybody know what are dangers of catching shingles during the pregnancy (I'm currently trying to get pregnant) and worry about catching shingles as I had chickenpox as a child. Is shingles vaccine effective and worth having? Please help.

Seeline Wed 18-Nov-15 16:23:12

You can't catch shingles. You may develop it if you are a bit low and under the weather.
I don't know how the vaccine works, and the virus is already in your system from having CP, but I think it is only available to older people (my Mum is nearly 80 and has only just become eligible for it).

Sidge Wed 18-Nov-15 16:36:59

The shingles vaccine in the UK isn't licensed for people under 50. You'd be very unlikely to be given it if you were under 50 and had had repeated shingles attacks yourself.

You can't catch shingles from another person with shingles or from someone with chickenpox, but you can catch chickenpox from someone with chickenpox if you haven't had chickenpox yourself.

If you had chickenpox as a child you could flare with shingles if run down, on immunosuppressant drugs, old or immune compromised. It's unlikely though if otherwise young and healthy.

If you do become pregnant and then have a concern that you have shingles see your GP as soon as possible. Some people benefit from antivirals.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now