Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Nasal Flu Vaccine - egg allergy

(7 Posts)
Nightfall1983 Fri 18-Sep-15 17:51:53

Bit random but think this is the right place to ask. DS is 3 and entitled to the Nasal Flu Vaccine, he's at pre-school now and I'd love him to have it however he is allergic to egg and according to what I've read shouldn't have it (he can have the jab but I don't know if this is routinely offered to children how have no other risk factors).

However my question is that there are levels of egg allergy and DS has the lower/lowest level; he can have well cooked egg and has never had issues with vaccines in the past. He can't tolerate raw or lightly cooked egg but his reaction isn't anaphylactic, it's a skin/rash reaction. Obviously I'm not really looking to take the word of random internet-ers on this important issue and I will be talking to my GP/practice nurse however in my experience they just read the (minimal) literature that they are given and that's it. My question really is can anyone find/does anyone know of any research/literature into this issue?

May09Bump Fri 18-Sep-15 17:56:51

Last time I investigated this, they had an egg free alternative. Ask the nurse who is responsible for the vaccine program - this was last yr. I didn't get it in the end as the research began to show that it wasn't effective on the flu strain in progress. Not sure about this yr .

Tournesol Fri 18-Sep-15 20:00:58

I have had exact same issue with my DS. The last few years the GP practice refused to give him the nasal spray despite his consultant saying it was safe for him to have it. In the end I had to take him into hospital to get the injection which I thought was a bit extreme!

By last year he was officially not allergic to egg and they still refused him the nasal spray but did the injection at the GP. It's a bit bonkers but I do understand their worry.

As far as the consultant said the nasal spray should be fine but you will need to speak to your GP to make sure they are happy with the 'risk'

anotherdayanothersquabble Sat 17-Oct-15 21:44:31

Read this.. US source but still relevant. The egg allergy section is pretty comprehensive especially noting that 'tolerence to eggs does not preclude an egg allergy' and it advises the injection if egg allergy exists.

anotherdayanothersquabble Sat 17-Oct-15 21:46:01

And without being alarmist, it is not your GP who needs to be happy with risk, it is you. You make the informed decision on behalf of your child.

Tarzanlovesgaby Sat 17-Oct-15 21:54:39

here it says that it must not be given if there is an egg allergy

FullSwearJar Sat 17-Oct-15 23:18:34

My DD has an epipen for her egg allergy and can't eat/touch egg in any form, she wasn't able to have either the flu jab or the nasal spray. If you go for the vaccination then I'd request it be administered in the children's clinic at hospital rather than at the GPs surgery.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now