Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How do I handle DCs vaccination tomorrow?

(14 Posts)
shattered77 Sun 28-Jun-15 16:37:52

DS has his injections tomorrow. He is 3.5. I've never had any problems taking the dc for their injections as babies , but now he is old enough to know, and is very bright, what do I say to him? At what point do I tell him? Just after some tips please.

shattered77 Sun 28-Jun-15 19:53:27

Anyone? smile

stargirl1701 Sun 28-Jun-15 19:56:17

Be honest. Tell him what is going to happen and why it is important. Does he have a lovey to take and hold?

Sid77 Sun 28-Jun-15 19:57:44

Just tell him as you're going to the dr. Say he has to have them. They will prick, it won't hurt, he will feel it but it will only take a minute. I was worried with my DS when he had to have injections but actually he was fine and he confirmed it didn't hurt. In fact he felt mega brave afterwards - so you could go for that angle. Best not to stress it though

CaramellaDeVille Sun 28-Jun-15 19:59:51

I just told my DS what to expect, and that it was nothing to be scared of. I bought him a little treat for afterwards, for being so brave. A kinder egg or something. He was fine. Good luck smile

Thurlow Sun 28-Jun-15 20:00:15

I thought this was going to be an issue but actually, we didn't really say anything at all. We just told her she was going to the doctors. Then when she was there DP (he pulled the short straw!) explained that she was going to have two injections to help keep her well, as she knew what injections were, and that afterwards they would go to the cafe, as that's her favourite thing. She was fine - she was happy by the time she got a sticker five seconds later, apparently.

I'd be honest and tell him, but not until you're there. Tell him you're going to the doctors to have something that will keep him well, but don't give him a chance to get worried or upset beforehand. Then buy him a new toy or a massive bit of cake for being brave.

Theas18 Sun 28-Jun-15 20:00:49

Tell him. You are going to get a the nurse to give him some amazing medicine that will protect him from getting serious illnesses " not stop you getting a gold or a sore throat but proper poorly". Because the medicine is so special it can only be given by a little injection. It will sting then be all over.
Tell him as you leave the house. Bring best ted for strength and a small pack of smarties or similar to pop on the desk ready so he can have one after each injection if he wants or save all till after.

Youngest screwed her eyes tight and a single tear leaked then she said yep stung hard but better now!

CaramellaDeVille Sun 28-Jun-15 20:01:09

Oh and I told him the morning of the appt, so he didn't lay in bed worrying about it.

Theas18 Sun 28-Jun-15 20:02:22

Is not go for a if reward. That builds it up a lot as an " event". Where as its not nice but its part of life " you have had lots before when you were too tiny to remember"

TheWanderingUterus Sun 28-Jun-15 20:02:44

The truth. That the lovely doctor/nurse is going to give a special medicine that will stop him from getting some nasty illnesses. It's might sting a bit but it has to be done, but you will do something fun afterwards.

The nurses were so lovely to DS when he had his done, he got two stickers and a certificate. I gave him a lolly the moment it was done, had it hidden in my bag as a surprise and just popped it in his mouth when he opened it to complain. Then made a big fuss of him.

sallysparrow157 Sun 28-Jun-15 20:05:30

Tell him as you're going there, not early enough to get worked up about it but soon enough that it's not a big surprise as he walks in. Tell him it will hurt a little bit but be over quickly. Maybe have a haribo or a lolly he can have just as he is about to have the jab and a magazine or a little toy for being brave afterwards. He sounds like a bright little chap so you could explain that it's an important thing to have so he doesn't get poorly later on

WestEast Mon 29-Jun-15 00:50:56

I give these jabs. I tell the children that they are going to have some medicine, it helps to stop them from getting really poorly, they had some when they were just a little baby, that it comes in two injections which might sting but I promise I'll be very careful. I get the child to sit on <whichever adult is there> knee, get them to look into their eyes and count to ten. First jab is done by 4, second one by 8. Then it's a big fuss, choose your stickers, if I've found one they get a certificate.
Just tell him when your leaving the house and maybe bring some chocolate buttons or some sorts. He'll be fine.

easytoforget Mon 29-Jun-15 01:03:17

Make a day of it - if the clinic is near enough walk there then go to the shop afterwards to buy a treat. This way the injection is not the main focus of your trip.

shattered77 Mon 29-Jun-15 15:34:26

Many thanks. I told him an hour before and was completely factual. He was getting a bit stressed but he wasn't given too much time to worry. wink

He had a face full of freddo and looked a bit concerned during, but no problem. He is now playing with his toy that I gave him as we set off in the car, and kept him distracted whilst waiting. All done!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now