Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

To ask why people don't vaccinate their DC even though we know that it doesn't cause Autism?

(399 Posts)
TheHouseOnBellSt Sat 27-Jun-15 21:48:22

www.thespainreport.com/16953/six-year-old-boy-with-diphtheria-in-catalonia-dies/

A 6 year old boy in Catalonia has died of Diphtheria. Why are people still anti-vaccinations?

Why? My SIL has not and is not vaccinating her DS. He's 14 months now and MIL is so worried.

Euphemia Sat 27-Jun-15 21:51:59

Ignorance.
Complacency.

What does your SIL say?

Gileswithachainsaw Sat 27-Jun-15 21:52:06

Well some kids are still allergic to components to some vaccines. others can't have them for medical reasons.

Some people are distrusting of pharmaceutical companies and sone have had adverse reactions to vaccinations.

mostly people I think are scared not sure threads designed to berate them are helpful.

TinyManticore Sat 27-Jun-15 21:55:46

Sometimes people have a good reason eg immunosuppressed illnesses, others rely on the fact that so many other children are immunised that they think their own DC don't need to be.

lemonade30 Sat 27-Jun-15 21:58:29

general aversity to risk.

We don't know it doesn't cause autism either. We know that no evidence of causation has been found within the studies performed.

scaevola Sat 27-Jun-15 21:58:38

Diphtheria was largely eradicated from Western Europe (despite the problems with the vaccine in the 1970s) but it wasn't eradicated worldwide.

With a more mobile global population, you do see small outbreaks from time to time in countries where it doesn't usually circulate.

It responds well to antibiotics, if given in time. The latter bit is the snag. Doctors just haven't seen diphtheria for decades, and so may not diagnose it as they just don't have the experience of spotting it.

lougle Sat 27-Jun-15 21:58:42

It may not cause autism but there is at least one poster who's child's immunisations triggered the regression that marked their child's diagnosis of autism (subtle difference).

I am not anti vac but I do think that we should show sensitivity to those who have concerns.

Gileswithachainsaw Sat 27-Jun-15 22:01:43

I'm sure companies have actually paid out compensation to families who's kids suffered vaccination damage.

if it was nonsense they wouldn't have paid

I'm. prepared to be corrected if it's not true though

ASettlerOfCatan Sat 27-Jun-15 22:01:58

I personally believe that if you can you should to help protect those who cannot be vaccinated (often due to other medical issues which also make any illness worse for them) as well as your own.

ObiWanCannoli Sat 27-Jun-15 22:07:55

I'm unsure. I've vaccinated my dc I don't think it caused my ds autism, a lot of the anti vac material is very scaremongering propaganda which taps into people's fear but I do think autism is triggered but by which factors for which people I don't know.

I do believe epigenetics has something to do with autism but I'm not blaming my ds autism on something I may or may not have done. There have been causal links to many things for triggering autism including the tempreture of the mothers body at a certain date in gestation and fragile x syndrome.

Fear can't rule or decisions but it often does as its fear that prompts us to protect our offspring. I would still vaccinate though, my dm had whooping cough as a baby and was very close to death at time my dg thought she wouldn't pull through many nights. That was my fear, the fear of loosing my child to something I could have prevented.

abearcalledpaddington Sat 27-Jun-15 22:11:55

Lots of other reasons other than autism.

They carry risks, ask to see the package inserts.They are not proven to be safe.

I personally don't believe they are safe or necessary, and i think they are purely to make money.

TeenAndTween Sat 27-Jun-15 22:12:36

People are unable to conceptualise risks properly.

Combined with no longer seeing certain diseases regularly so they don't realise how bad they can be.

Understanding of probability & statistics should be better taught.

e.g. How many people do you need in a room for it to be more likely than not that 2 will share the same birthday?

bostonkremekrazy Sat 27-Jun-15 22:13:13

i chose to wait to vaccinate because their is a very small risk of bowel irregularities with MMR.
i have serious bowel disease - ulcerative colitis - 13 major bowel surgeries. i decided to wait to vaccinate my baby until her tiny body could cope with the chemicals injected and the immune response it provokes - just so i could protect her from the possible risk.
as a responsible parent i made that decision for her - and vaccinated 12 months later when she was much bigger.

my friend did not vaccinate her LO 10 years ago as her sister developed encephelitis as a direct result of being vaccinated. she is completely disabled and has never led a normal life. she decided that for her family the risks were too great and her child has had no vaccinations to date. it was proven that the vaccinations caused the encephelitis and so the NHS took responsibility etc. it was not hysteria by the family.

vaccinations are not completely without risks - autism has been disproven yes - but there are some risks, high temps, infections etc

RagingJellyBean Sat 27-Jun-15 22:13:29

Ignorance, and being gullible enough to believe scaremongering.
Not caring about other children's health.

Oh and the best one, religion. Pah.

SeenBeen Sat 27-Jun-15 22:13:37

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

RagingJellyBean Sat 27-Jun-15 22:14:30

Abearcalled,

The measles aren't safe either, how about that.

SeenBeen Sat 27-Jun-15 22:14:36

Thanks for proving my point, abearcalledpaddington.

Have you even been to school? Do you know how to read?

crustsaway Sat 27-Jun-15 22:15:57

The risk is minimal the outcome of non vaccination catastrophic.

There is always going to be a tiny minority to have a bad reaction to anything. I know someone who is allergic to chips.

As for it being a money making thing, really?

RagingJellyBean Sat 27-Jun-15 22:16:37

I think this is the first time I've actually had to walk away from a post and go to bed.

I can't physically bear to read the utter tripe, uneducated, nonsensical, ill-informed bullshit that anti-vaxxers come away with.

It literally induces a headache, I need paracetamol (better not tho, so many risks! It's all a conspiracy!!!!!)

scaevola Sat 27-Jun-15 22:16:56

The OP specifically mentioned diphtheria, and there were problems with the DPT jab in the 1970s. But they related to the pertussis component, and back then it was the whole-cell version.

That component has been replaced by an acellular version, in all versions of the jab, so those reasons for concern do not apply any more.

lemonade30 Sat 27-Jun-15 22:18:17

probability is nothing more than inductive reasoning.
There is no certainty in probability.

its with trepidation that a parent will put their child in a potentially catastrophically harmful situation, even if the probability of them coming to harm is infinitesimal.

probability should be taught more.
We should be cognisant of how meaningless a construct it is in practice.

abearcalledpaddington Sat 27-Jun-15 22:18:31

HAHA

yes course i have.

Sorry if my posts are a bit vague or poorly written, i am lying in bed breastfeeding.

That is basically my belief though.

Measles isn't dangerous to most people, i had it as a kid, and most other things.

Its funny how the language around disease changes once there is a vaccine available. On American forums they talk about chicken pox as if its the plague as its mandatory there now.

I imagine that's whats happened to measles.

TheHouseOnBellSt Sat 27-Jun-15 22:18:34

I'm honestly not berating...I just want to know why so I can understand SIL's motives. Not because I want to discuss it with her but to try to make MIL feel better. MIL is very worried indeed.

crustsaway Sat 27-Jun-15 22:18:36

Not sure people need to be so rude here though. Not sure anyone needs to say people are shit. I'd take bloody offence to being called that for having my own opinion. Steady on there!

Wideopenspace Sat 27-Jun-15 22:19:00

I worked with children who have autism at the height of the Wakefield scare.

It was awful for those parents, just awful.

Wind forward to me getting my son vaccinated - I did it, of course, but I was surprised at how emotional I was.

The idea that something like like that can 'cause' autism - very powerful, emotional and not easily shaken - even in the face of irrefutable scientific evidence that the original study was complete and utter bollocks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now