Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Dtp vaccine, and meningitis c vaccine in 15 year old FORS/AGAINSTS

(6 Posts)
Rivercam Tue 10-Feb-15 20:57:29

My 15 year old is due to be vaccinated this week. Are there any dangers with it ?

Thanks

OddBoots Tue 10-Feb-15 21:00:21

The fors are obvious - nobody wants any of those diseases.

The common side effects are listed here

AuntieStella Tue 10-Feb-15 21:05:26

Presumably he had them before in infancy and pre-school boost.

Was he OK then?

One possible change is that a 15yo is old enough to have had oral polio, and this boost contains the injectable. But I haven't heard anything worrying about that jab.

wonkylegs Tue 10-Feb-15 21:10:08

At university I caught meningitis as part of an outbreak following freshers week. I was lucky, got quick treatment and just spent a scary week in hospital but my flatmate nearly died (they said if we'd waited half an hour longer for the GP rather than taking her to A&E she would most likely have died) , she had to take a year out to recover and lost her hearing on one side.
I would do anything to reduce the chances of my child having to go through that....

Rivercam Tue 10-Feb-15 21:28:28

Thank you for your replies.

OrchidFlakes Wed 11-Feb-15 20:27:32

You can request the inserts that go in the vaccines (same as all meds) to read all the potential side effects and the numbers of the population affected. It's really helpful info to have when making the decision as it goes from direct from the manufacturer

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: