Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Does anyone know about the longevity of MMR?

(7 Posts)
nannynome Mon 05-Jan-15 20:23:00

I was wondering if anyone medical knew how long the MMR lasted or about the degradation of its lifespan is. I am 10 weeks pregnant and I may have been exposed to someone with German measles inadvertently. Thanks for any information!

CatherinaJTV Mon 05-Jan-15 20:38:29

how many MMRs have you had? After 1, nearly 100% of vaccinees are protected, after 2, not one case of rubella embryopathy has been reported (to my knowledge). Also rubella is not quite as contagious as measles or mumps.

Urgh, what a scare in any case. Ask your midwife to test your titers (=immunity) for peace of mind, maybe?

nannynome Mon 05-Jan-15 22:38:32

Thank you, I am 35 and had all my vaccines as a child but my parents can't remember how many I had for MMR. I am seeing my midwife tomorrow so will ask her. Just in panic mode even though I know the percentages are small.

CatherinaJTV Tue 06-Jan-15 22:00:23

Hugs - hope your midwife was able to help you!

meditrina Tue 06-Jan-15 22:10:56

NHS says German measles and measles components of MMR each give 20+ years immunity for 99% of recipients of two shots.

nannynome Thu 08-Jan-15 20:44:32

Hello, thanks for the thoughts. Yes, because this is my second pregnancy the midwife says I should be fine as they tested my blood for immunity with my first pregnancy (a year and a half ago) she has also sent my blood off for testing again this time. Am incredibly relieved as it is one of those things that doesn't really even cross your mind as a consideration! Just hoping DS is ok as he is due his booster next week hmm

andersonsophie89 Fri 16-Jan-15 14:44:41

it is said between 5-25 years. apprently like childrenpox and mumps, measles in most children are okay, but when you get older getting it becomes more serious.

vaxtruth.org/2015/01/measles-benefits/

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: