Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can you get oral vaccines for Hep A, B, Tetanus, Typhoid and Polio? (needle phobic son!)

(4 Posts)
booface Tue 25-Nov-14 18:54:00

I have booked a trip to Sharm el Sheik for my DH and young son, forgetting the DS in needle phobic and not anticipating the need for all the above injections. I don't suppose they are available in oral version ? She says, clutching at straws..!

mdpis3 Tue 25-Nov-14 18:58:48

Polio (OPV) can be administered orally if you can find a GP who will. The rest are needles. Sorry.

booface Tue 25-Nov-14 20:37:05

Thanks for the tip on Polio. I might see if I can get some of that Emla cream that numbs the skin...

Sidge Tue 25-Nov-14 21:00:10

You're very unlikely to be able to get oral polio vaccine.

You can get oral typhoid vaccine but it's only licensed for age 6 and over.

There is no oral vaccine for Hep A and B or tetanus. If your child has had his routine immunisations he will be in date for tetanus and polio (given from 8 weeks and again at the preschool booster).

Emla is rarely useful for intramuscular vaccinations as they are done so quickly and are pretty much "in and out", unlike a blood test where Emla is more useful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now