Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

8 wk vaccinations - timing for a premature baby and should I

(6 Posts)
cantbelieveimonhere Fri 14-Nov-14 11:07:00

Baby born 5lb at 36 plus 4. Health visitor recommends having jabs at 8 weeks, I'm not sure. What does anyone else think/have experience of?

Should I give baby calpol before jabs? (And how long before?)

Embolio Fri 14-Nov-14 11:19:40

My son was born at 34 weeks, I was advised to go ahead with vaccinations at actual rather than corrected age and did so. He was fine and took it all in his stride. It's hard when they are so tiny.

They tell you not to give calpol before, I'm not sure why (something to do with it changing the bodies response to the vaccine? I'm prepared to be corrected!). I did with my older son as he used to get hysterical but ds2 (my 34 weeker) has always been ok

Sidge Fri 14-Nov-14 11:28:10

They should still have their vaccinations at their chronological age when due - ie 8 weeks from birth. 36+4 isn't especially prem as term is considered from 37 weeks, but I appreciate your baby was quite small (some might think that means it's even more important s/he has them when due).

Don't give Calpol before jabs as it can make them less effective - not all babies will need Calpol anyway and certainly at only 8 weeks it can only be given post-vaccination if needed.

SoonToBeSix Fri 14-Nov-14 11:30:29

You have vaccinations at actual age , as your baby is only 3 days prem am not sure of your concern? Re the calpol afterwards but only if baby needs it.

ireallydontlikemonday Fri 14-Nov-14 11:35:06

31 week twins had theirs at 8 weeks actual.

cantbelieveimonhere Fri 14-Nov-14 14:32:32

Thanks folks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now