Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Nasal flu vaccine for toddlers

(32 Posts)
jaybirdsinginginthedeadofnight Sun 19-Oct-14 15:02:51

I'm open to opinions one way or the other here. The area I live is offering the nasal spray to all 2-11year olds. Is this a 'no brainer, just get it' situation? Or should I decline? What's everyone's thoughts and why? DD is 2.5 smile

NorwaySpruce Sun 19-Oct-14 15:05:31

Mine are having it (and I've had the jab).

I've not read about any dreadful side-effects, and the 'flu is horrid.

Idefix Sun 19-Oct-14 15:09:58

Go for it! The benefits are good for both your children and the society that they live in as herd immunity will create a buffer effect for those who can't have the vaccine. For your own children having flu could result in week + off school and more serious complications.

jaybirdsinginginthedeadofnight Sun 19-Oct-14 17:44:12

I get it myself as I'm an nhs worker and my parents pay for theirs at boots. So I'm not opposed to vaccinating against flu just like to hear what people's thoughts are generally. I have to say I was all for DD getting it until I read another thread on here grin

hollie84 Sun 19-Oct-14 17:45:16

DS1 had it last year - no side effects and didn't get flu!

SideOfFoot Mon 20-Oct-14 19:53:26

I don't want to spark a debate but I have declined for my dd. this vaccine is to stop children passing flu onto older people, for whom it would be dangerous. I'm declining on moral grounds and am happy with my decision.

hollie84 Mon 20-Oct-14 19:56:44

You're morally opposed to older people not getting flu?

The point of all vaccines is to protect society as well as individuals.

EmilyGilmore Mon 20-Oct-14 19:59:43

Some people think it's is somehow "offering up" their toddlers as a vaccinated sacrifice to the deity of old age pensioners.

I see it as a handy way of keeping your child flu-free but people are funny about what they're prepared to do if they think it might benefit a stranger.

divingoffthebalcony Mon 20-Oct-14 20:01:18

I'll be declining as well. I know people sneer at anecdata but I've heard too many stories of really nasty side effects.

This article made me feel better about my decision as well. If the lead author of the Cochrane Review on Vaccines for Preventing Influenza in Healthy Children says no, then I'm damned if I'm giving it to my child.

I actually find it quite troubling that this vaccine is seemingly being ruled out with so little thought, other than wanting to reduce the incidence of flu in elderly people (who bed block and cost the NHS money).

www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/oct/05/government-wrong-nasal-spray-vaccine

waddleandtoddle Mon 20-Oct-14 20:08:01

People were banging the doors down at my local surgery to receive the jab. This is the second year of DS having the nasal vaccine and I have found it beneficial. This year it seems to be very good as I have not seen him have a runny nose since. Secondly the nursery has had a sickness bug, colds galore and chicken pox and he has not caught them despite being full time (although he had cpox last year so probably doesn't count).

hollie84 Mon 20-Oct-14 20:11:58

A flu vaccine won't stop a child getting colds, runny noses or chicken pox.

divingoffthebalcony Mon 20-Oct-14 20:12:08

Well, that's a coincidence. Having the flu vaccine doesn't protect you from stomach bugs and colds.

Yes my toddler has asthma so I will be getting his done. Me and my teen had flu few years back and it was awful

Idefix Mon 20-Oct-14 20:17:16

Having had two dc suffer with flu for 3 weeks when they were 3 and 5 yrs I avoid it like the plague ;) . They really suffered and took months to really return to their old selves. Plus there was the added stress of taking time off work, as we had nobody who could help us locally. But as I said before it helps everyone who can't be vaccinated - babies too young for the immunisation etc. elderly are eligible in their own right to vaccine.

LizzieMint Mon 20-Oct-14 20:19:16

No brainer for me, I've been chasing our surgery up because they've been so slow organising it. My littlest get viral-induced asthma every time she has the smallest viral infection and has been hospitalised 3 times in the past year. Personally I'd like the whole family vaccinated to reduce her chance of being exposed to it.

waddleandtoddle Mon 20-Oct-14 20:34:32

I agree, a nasal vaccine won't stop toddlers catching stomach bugs, c-pox or runny noses BUT it will strengthen their immune system against current flu strains. Therefore giving their bodies a better chance of defending other illnesses. There is nothing worse than a whole family suffering from flu and taking months to recover whilst catching every cold and sore throat going because their immune system is exhausted.

SideOfFoot Tue 21-Oct-14 12:31:43

Hollie84, I'm not morally opposed to older people not getting flu, I'm morally opposed to risking (because there is a risk) my child to prevent older people getting flu.

CatherinaJTV Thu 23-Oct-14 08:14:26

Mine had the flu aged 3 and 7 and the 7 year old spiked a 41 degree fever several times a day for 9 days straight, couldn't eat a bite, had a horrendous headache, just was really really ill. We have been getting the flu shot since for our benefit. If we save the life of an elderly neighbour on the way, that is an added bonus that I am very happy about.

NorwaySpruce Thu 23-Oct-14 08:22:06

What are the dreadful side effects people are mentioning? I've googled, but can only find the usual mild things.

Mine children have had the vaccine now, and not had any reaction at all, nor have any of their school mates as far as I'm aware.

SideOfFoot Thu 23-Oct-14 08:56:49

NorwaySpruce, we do not know about the long term side effects of this vaccine, I'm not prepared to take the risk. It might well be fine, we just don't know.

Theonlyoneiknow Mon 27-Oct-14 16:03:47

I wonder what the % uptake is for this vaccine in the 2-11yrs old bracket that they are offering it to?

DS had it last year, aged 3 and is having it this year.

Am swithering about DD having it though, she's only 2

MotherOfInsomniacToddlers Mon 27-Oct-14 16:10:15

Here they only do it for 2-4 year olds but mine are 2 and 3 and both had the nasal spray. I'm pregnant and have had it too. Couldn't find anything about side effects that caused me concern.

TheGirlOnTheLanding Mon 27-Oct-14 16:18:23

No brainer for us. DC were in a pilot area and got the nasal immunisation last year, were flu free last winter. I get my flu jab annually (asthmatic) and am happy to tolerate minor side effects if I can avoid flu. Considering buying the vaccine at Asda for DH too this year. Flu may not be life threatening to young and healthy people, but on the two occasions I had it, I certainly felt like I was dying (stoic) and I am keen we all avoid it if we can.

anotherdayanothersquabble Mon 27-Oct-14 17:45:46

The nasal vaccine is contra indicated for those with Asthma, they need the jab instead.

The vaccine has 3 strains, bird flu from 2008, swine flu from 2009, and HMassB from 2013.

Those who receive the vaccine are advised to stay clear of vulnerable people as the vaccine sheds for up to 21 days and can infect others.

MrsWhiskersonTheFirst Wed 29-Oct-14 16:41:48

Mine won't be getting it. As for doing it to protect older people - older people are already offered the vaccine and many choose not to have it themselves.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now