Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How was your child after the MMR?

(10 Posts)
coldwater1 Tue 04-Mar-14 06:21:02

My son is nearly 2 and i have delayed the mmr until now due to my older son having a bad time after it. My little one has the vaccine today and to say i'm dreading it is an under statement. Please tell me how your child was after the mmr?

Graciescotland Tue 04-Mar-14 06:28:29

I have DSs as well eldest had a horrible time after the MMR. He actually ended up with fairly severe bacterial tonsillitis requiring antibiotics; not as a reaction but I suspect his immune system was laid so low following jabs that the bugs took over. I'm sure lots of medical people will explain that's not how it works but it makes sense to me.

When DS2 had jab I totally expected the worst but he was absolutely fine, bit of calpol and extra cuddles for two days but nothing like DS1. I hope you have the same.

coldwater1 Tue 04-Mar-14 06:58:22

Thank you. I really hope so too. I am so behind with my uni work thanks to chicken pox that took a month of my life as 4 of my kiddies had it. I don't want to leave the mmr any longer though either and my baby also needs her first jabs as they were put off due to the chicken pox and unable to leave the house and she caught them too.

RegainingUnconsciousness Tue 04-Mar-14 07:08:44

Sometimes it's difficult to make two observations and NOT link them, but most of the time it's only coincidence, or at least the causal relationship is not what you think (remember gay marriage 'causing' the floods?!)

For the vast majority of people, my DS included, no vaccination has caused even the slightest negative reaction.

What will cause a problem is your negative behaviour towards the event of the vaccination itself and the time afterwards. Your child will respond to your cues. If you can be upbeat about it your child is likely to be happier. Good luck!

Incapinka Tue 04-Mar-14 07:13:17

I was so worried about the mmr. DS had it at 12 months and was absolutely fine. No symptoms whatsoever. Phew!

tumbletumble Tue 04-Mar-14 07:16:49

2 of mine were fine. 1 had a slight rash about 10 days afterwards. Hope it goes well OP.

noblegiraffe Tue 04-Mar-14 07:19:26

DD had it last week. She was fine afterwards, didn't even cry.

JuniperTisane Tue 04-Mar-14 07:19:41

Ds1 was fine. Ds2 was grotty for a few days about a week afterwards but he also cut two molars so it was probably a mixture of the two.

Theas18 Tue 04-Mar-14 07:21:01

All 3 fine

CatherinaJTV Tue 04-Mar-14 07:26:41

DS and DD were fine after their first shots. What was striking was DS after his second (which he had at 2.5 years according to the German schedule at the time). He had gone through very profound terrible twos, where he had essentially stopped talking, was unhappy almost every day, just pointed at things he wanted, whined a lot (we called him "talks with wails" ;) ) He got his second MMR on a Thursday. By Saturday, he was a changed boy. He was totally happy, relaxed, talked in 5 word sentences, showed interest in potty training very soon after. I had watched him like a hawk due to the MMR stories and his transformation was sudden and striking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now