Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

BCG vaccination

(3 Posts)
miha26 Wed 12-Feb-14 08:50:46

Hi,
Has anyone of you suffer side effects from BCG vaccination? My little one, 7 weeks, has a red bump which is swollen and yellow.

ilovepowerhoop Wed 12-Feb-14 09:14:38

sounds like a normal reaction. Netdoctor says:

The BCG vaccine usually causes a hardened lesion that may ulcerate and occasionally discharge. It heals over several weeks or months leaving a small flat scar. You should keep the area dry to allow it to heal, but it is not necessary to protect it from water during washing or bathing. Avoid covering it with waterproof (airtight) dressings or tight clothing, unless for short periods such as during swimming. If the ulcer starts to ooze you can cover it with a dry dressing until a scab forms, but you should still allow the air to get to it. Airtight dressings may delay the healing of the ulcer and cause a larger scar. If you get a more severe reaction or the ulcer persists seek medical advice from your doctor.

Read more: www.netdoctor.co.uk/infections/medicines/bcg-vaccine-ssi.html#ixzz2t66dUVYc

bumbleymummy Wed 12-Feb-14 15:00:32

Ow! I had an awful reaction to mine when I got it (at age 12 I think). Horrible pus-filled lump that was painful to touch and took months to heal. Hope your lo recovers quickly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now