Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

UK rejects Meningitis B vaccine on NHS

(38 Posts)
Duplogiraffe Wed 24-Jul-13 11:17:00

What are your thoughts ? Is anyone going to consider it privately ? I am unsure at this point.

Wildwaterfalls Wed 24-Jul-13 12:57:28

Bumping because I'm also considering going private but want to hear others' thoughts. Seems like the only reason it has not been approved is cost-effectiveness?

Poosnu Wed 24-Jul-13 13:53:13

Bearing in mind the potentially devastating side effects of the disease I would consider this privately, but I can't see that it is available yet (at least in the main London clinics).

giddywithglee Wed 24-Jul-13 13:58:05

We lost our 4 y/o niece to meningococcal septicaemia. I will be getting my sons vaccinated as soon as it is available privately.

giddywithglee Wed 24-Jul-13 13:59:13

It isn't available privately yet but Novartis, who manufacture the vaccine, expect it to be available by the end of the year.

AnAirOfHope Wed 24-Jul-13 15:33:05

I was going to start the same thread.

I lost a friend at 17 to men B. Im so glad there is a vaccine and I want my children to have it, even if I have to go private.

I just dont under stand why the NHS rejected it sad

giddywithglee Wed 24-Jul-13 15:51:20

I started a thread here with a link to the petition you can sign supporting the Beat in Now! campaign. Meningitis Trust, Meningitis UK and Meningitis Research are campaigning together to get it established as a routine vaccination in the immunisation programme.

I gather it's been rejected as it might not be cost effective - they're not sure how long it'll last.

giddywithglee Wed 24-Jul-13 15:51:58

Can't type today! It's the Beat it Now! campaign.

bumbleymummy Wed 24-Jul-13 22:41:12

Currently thought to be 73% effective but there are questions about that - large trials needed. I think I would wait a bit longer.

cngodltlbi Thu 25-Jul-13 22:45:28

You can read the JCVI minutes for some explanation: 1, 2, 3

As I understand it, they are now planning to investigate whether vaccinating adolescents would stop it spreading.

MouseSquirrelMum Fri 26-Jul-13 13:11:47

Hello everyone.
I've got a thread on the Campaigns list about this, as my daughter had meningitis age 2 last year and we are so so lucky that she is both alive and without long term effects. I support the vaccine as i would anything that will lower the risk of anyone else going through what we did, and much much worse. I'm hoping mumsnet will launch a campaign, if you would support that please do add something.

AlphaBetaOoda Fri 26-Jul-13 18:17:03

I've just found this thread through a search, I started one the other night in chat but didn't get a response.

Ds had meningitis at7 weeks, no clear results on which strain yet as his ABs were working quickly and samples v small.
No apparent damage but waiting will last a while as he's only 5 months. I query everything though sad
I'm v keen to get all mine done privately if nhs doesn't cough up. Dd1/2 will likely be too old anyway.

Frontdoorstep Fri 26-Jul-13 20:51:56

Cngodltlbl, I read the jcvi minutes, they were clear to understand and explained the decision well., imo,

Notwithstanding the seriousness of the disease, I don't want my children vaccinated, not with the rate of effectiveness and the lack of studies on side effects and the unknown of long term side effects.

I have a 12 year old and I will not support the vaccinating of adolescents, especially since the figures quoted seem to say that half the cases from the year in question of the study were in those under one year old.

I think if they are going to do it, they'll have to target t age groups most likely to be affected. Targeting adolescents sound to me like another vaccine not given to those most likely to be affected by the disease(like rubella, mumps)

Allybob3 Sun 08-Sep-13 20:56:47

To be honest front doorstep, (and i mean this completely sincerely)I think if your life has remotely
Been touched by meningitis b, And ours has with my niece
Who at 7, was given a less than 1%chance of survival and did survive but at the consequence is a quadruple amputee...., no amount of research and I have done work for NICE in my time, can dissuade many that even with a 73% success rate... This is a good thing to add to childhood imms, and post 16 boosters.
The long term side effects of this disease that has ongoing consequences (and there are many, and most life changing)
And there are many and life altering... Will in the long term and the QUALY save money. And be cost effective in long term rather than short term... Knowing my nieces prosthetics cost 30-50k she is currently changing 4 monthly because of growth, and I know she us not the only one!

Sorry to rant but I think many are unable to think of the consequence and comment unless you have been affected.

Weknowwhoyouare Tue 03-Dec-13 08:31:57

Now its available privately has anyone seen a clinic yet?

AnAdventureInCakeAndWine Tue 03-Dec-13 08:35:53

No, but thinking of looking into it in the new year, at least for toddler DD2. Would be interested if anyone sees a clinic offering the jab.

AnAdventureInCakeAndWine Tue 03-Dec-13 08:37:53

Hang on -- is it available privately yet? BBC report I read said that EMA had recommended it for approval and so it was "expected to receive its UK licence early next year".

Weknowwhoyouare Tue 03-Dec-13 13:20:33

Privately from yesterday , was approved earlier this year.

Weknowwhoyouare Tue 03-Dec-13 13:22:55

Was on menigitis now FB page this morning (although heard was coming a few days ago)

Weknowwhoyouare Tue 03-Dec-13 13:23:38

They suggested asking at GP first, doubt ours will though.

Weknowwhoyouare Tue 03-Dec-13 13:36:42

Found one in Manchester. £120 each.

Dukesy Thu 12-Dec-13 10:37:09

I work for DOCTORnow, a private GP Practice in Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire. We have just started offering them.

Edenviolet Thu 12-Dec-13 10:40:06

My dcs will be having this vaccination

As far as I'm concerned 73% is better than 0% especially with something as devastating as men b. we are saving up as the injection for all four dcs will be costly but in my opinion worth it.

OodKingWenceslas Thu 12-Dec-13 12:28:52

Yes that's our problem Hedgehog 4 is going to cost over £1k plus travel etc but I can't not do it now.

RobotToad Sun 19-Jan-14 17:58:29

I have had my children vaccinated, found a clinic that does each jab at £110. Will cost me over £600 as I have 3. I am so angry, have written to my mp. There are people who can't afford this, the inequality increases forget house prices, bet all those mps have their kids done, no need to think twice for them!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: