Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Had flu jab this morning but still not sure what to do about my 2 year old daughter

(10 Posts)
cockneysparrow1977 Sat 15-Oct-11 12:33:45

Im 21 weeks pregnant and had my flu jab this morning am feeling ok a little but sick and have a dead arm, but I'm not sure what to do about my 2 and a half year old daughter! I paid for her to have the swine flu jab in jan after the deaths etc over the Xmas period! She's starting preschool November and I was thinking of paying privately and giving her the flu jab she would need 2 doses 4 weeks apart! My gp says at the moment the department of health aren't vaccinating healthy under 5s Im not sure about going against their advise but on the other hand I'm worried about her catching swine flu! I guess one option is delaying starting preschool until jan, she's also meant to be having her mumps jab in dec or possible mmr if mumps still not available so giving flu would delay the mumps / mmr! Decisions decisions! Wondered if there are any other parents giving their healthy little ones the flu jab feel like at the moment im the only over protective parent out there, I know two others whos children have had it done and were fine following jabs
Hopefully someone out there is intended to vaccinate too would appreciate any advise

Tabitha8 Sat 15-Oct-11 18:43:55

When she had the jab in January, did they tell you for how long it would last?

cockneysparrow1977 Sat 15-Oct-11 18:51:26

They said it would only be for that flu season and would need another for this flu season sad((

Tabitha8 Sat 15-Oct-11 18:56:09

Is it only swine flu you are worried about or normal flu?

cockneysparrow1977 Sat 15-Oct-11 19:15:13

Just swine but apparently you need to have combined flu jab as that's got swine in it?

cockneysparrow1977 Sat 15-Oct-11 19:15:45

Are you vaccinating your LO?

Tabitha8 Sat 15-Oct-11 19:38:50

No, but then he hasn't had any jabs at all. He's 2.5 and even if he'd had all jabs, swine flu wouldn't particularly concern me.
Wouldn't the swine flu jab from January still protect her now?
Not sure what the chances are of catching flu? In particular swine flu? There must be some stats somewhere. I'm in my forties and have never had it. Not very scientific, I know. smile

Haberdashery Fri 21-Oct-11 16:56:45

I have had swine flu (I'm also in my forties) and I would not wish it on my worst enemy. I have never ever felt so appalling in my life. I would be far more concerned about a tiny child catching it than I would about the vaccination. My child is five so wouldn't be offered it but I would certainly let her have it if she was offered it. Honestly, swine flu is a really horrible illness.

bumbleymummy Fri 21-Oct-11 21:16:59

For some, for others it's completely asymptomatic...

bumbleymummy Fri 21-Oct-11 21:17:47

Or very mild

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now