Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Single Measles / MMR - Different Strain?

(8 Posts)
tinypotato Tue 11-Oct-11 11:09:34

Hello

We've gone down the single vaccines route for a number of reasons which our GP has supported in our particular case, however I've just been told by our practice nurse that the single measles vaccine is actually a different strain to the one included in the combined MMR, she said the single vaccine is the strain common in Germany whereas the measles bit of the MMR is from the strain most common in the UK which means DS will be unprotected against the strain of measles he's most likely to catch

I don't really know much about this kind of thing, does any one know anything about this? Obviously I'm a little concerned, this is the first time I'd heard this argument for the MMR and I'm wondering what to do next

mousyfledermaus Tue 11-Oct-11 11:12:36

ask your nurse for a package leaflet of the vaccines. the strain should be in there.

tinypotato Tue 11-Oct-11 11:24:39

I've just had a look at our notes, DS had Rouvax which is the Schwarz strain, the measles component of the MMR is Attenuvax (as far as I can gather from Google) which is the Edmonston strain

tinypotato Tue 11-Oct-11 11:32:14

OK, sorry for posting so many times on my own thread!

Just found this:

The Measles virus is monotypic, or in other words, there is only one serotype. The genetic differences among the various strains can cause variations in the clinical manifestations of infection. Since the Measles virus is monotypic, immunity against one strain can provide immunity against all strains. Even with various genotypes, the viral genomes have not deviated to produce multiple serotypes.

So it seems that even though the seroconversion isn't as great with the single vaccine, he is protected to some extent to any strain of measles

Panic over smile

CatherinaJTV Tue 11-Oct-11 13:52:54

(general rant on) I cannot understand for the life of me how parents will go down an obscure and expensive, less effective route with imported (certainly not from Germany) single vaccines (general rant over).

Tabitha8 Tue 11-Oct-11 15:47:19

Catherina, you do not need to understand why, do you? It is their choice. The OP actually said her GP supported her reasons.

CatherinaJTV Tue 11-Oct-11 20:34:25

Point taken Tabitha - I hope you got mine that by going singles you are swapping one anxiety against many others.

Tabitha8 Wed 12-Oct-11 10:45:54

Well that is certainly true. I don't disagree with you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now