Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ds had his MMR on monday, now looks to have chicken pox!

(11 Posts)
DedalusDigglesPocketWatch Sat 10-Sep-11 12:53:27

Will this mean the mmr will need re-doing? As it is a live vaccine will this make him more susceptible to catching anything?

He is 1yr BTW

suzikettles Sat 10-Sep-11 12:55:13

I think it's fairly common to have a rash a few days after the MMR.

DedalusDigglesPocketWatch Sat 10-Sep-11 12:57:55

These are proper pox like spots, not a rash.

DedalusDigglesPocketWatch Sat 10-Sep-11 14:39:58

Yep, it is chicken pox, now covered

CatherinaJTV Sun 11-Sep-11 11:24:56

outch - what bad luck. Since the MMR was given some days before the first pox, there is a good chance of immunity anyway... Chicken pox incubation time is two to three weeks, so he'd have caught them a week or longer before the MMR. I hope he'll sail through this without too much bother! Usually, new pox appear for about 5 days and he is no longer contagious once all of them have crusted over. Good luck!

DedalusDigglesPocketWatch Sun 11-Sep-11 19:17:35

Thank you, he is actually quite jolly, but so many spots!

Going to phone dr's surgery tomorrow to just check with the nurse.

maxybrown Mon 12-Sep-11 13:18:43

I have heard of quite a few children come out with chicken pox a few days after MMR - weird! I mean RL children I know too, not internet children wink

CatherinaJTV Tue 13-Sep-11 09:52:16

why would that be weird in a country in which chicken pox are endemic, maxybrown?

DedalusDigglesPocketWatch Tue 13-Sep-11 14:07:41

Dh was wondering if cp can lie dormant and perhaps the vaccinations just put them under the weather enough for it to come out.

Dd had her preshool boosters then came down with cp about 2 weeks afterwards then ds has had the same but less than a week. The strange thing is with both of them we have no idea where they got it having not been in contact with any cp.

Strange huh?

suzikettles Tue 13-Sep-11 16:43:54

Not strange really tbh. Chickenpox is at its most infectious before the spots come out so you're more likely to catch it from someone who looks like they don't have it (if that makes any sense).

The virus is spread mainly through droplet contact I think and can survive outside the body for a short time - this is off the top of my head, but I think you're talking 15 minutes or so. Once you've had it then it'll lie dormant in your system for the rest of your life, unless you're unlucky enough to get shingles later on, but I don't think the virus could be dormant in the body without a reaction first (albeit a mild one - some people are immune to chickenpox and don't ever recall actually getting it).

I guess with chickenpox being so commonplace in children and vaccinations also being routine what seems like a big coincidence - two children coming down with chickenpox shortly after vaccination - probably isn't really if you look at the whole population.

CatherinaJTV Tue 13-Sep-11 20:09:57

thanks Suzie - that is exactly what I would have posted smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now